football
Latest News:

Diamonds for Change

Joint Statement
15 November, 2017 12:26
In the wake of recent revelations a joint meeting, involving Airdrieonians Supporters’ Trust, Diamonds for Change and The Consortium, was convened in order to discuss our next steps.

We collectively confirm that we cannot and will not back the proposed transfer of shares in Airdrieonians from M&H to the named preferred bidder. This transaction is nothing more than the continuation of the current regime in another guise.

We are dismayed and saddened by the continual, pernicious mismanagement, neglect and systemic abuse of a once-proud club – this proposed sale will not halt or reverse the decline we have had to endure in recent decades.

We can confirm that the stadium company is an integral part of the consortium, and back our stance 100%.

All three parties have a shared vision for the future of Airdrieonians, and will continue to work towards a time where we can recreate a club that is a force on the park and a positive asset to the entire town and community.

We are constituting a plan that would return the club to being an organisation run democratically by Airdrie-minded people on a sustainable, progressive basis. We believe this is the only way to safeguard the future of an institution, which should be treated as a precious commodity.

Our vision does not include any of the current regime who are managing the decline of our club.

While we are saddened that a model that has failed seems about to be repeated, we remain resolute and focused. We will continue to campaign to bring control of the club back to trusted custodians.

As part of this, we invite all supporters to join us in an open meeting at Excelsior Stadium at 7:30pm on Thursday 16 November to discuss our perspective and answer any immediate questions you may have.

It is our club. It is time for us all to unite and make sure that those currently clinging on to control understand that change will happen and their tenure will soon be over.

vanheaver
vanheaver (IP Logged)

Re: Joint Statement
15 November, 2017 20:00
I agree that the timing does seem coincidental if not suspious, but You are assuming that the Ballatynes will be involved with this new interested party and that their current roles will not be shuffled like a government cabinet. They themselves might see this as an opportunity to depart over an agreed period of transition.

what input are these new consortiums going to pledge in the way of financial investment. we have had too many broken promises in the past and I for one would want to see the colour of their investment,

the door does seem to have been opened for both groups to get together. Will Supporters/sponsors of the Trust continue their financial support if this other group take control... will they need to support initiatives like KitAid, Sensory room, the Community Trust etc. all these things need to be taken into consideration.

playing devils advocate all fans, for and against, are entitled to hear what both "consortiums" are going to bring to the table.

these recent revelations should in no way impact the process of electing a fans representative to the board no matter who/which consortium is in control.

please do not take the above as support for the current boardroom setup because I believe we now need a change and a big change, however boycotting does not resolve anything. Not buying merchandise only hurts the trust, and not going to games hurts the players and undermines the Back the Team Sack the Board statement.

It has to be commended that there will be an open meeting with the Diamonds for Change group and hopefully representatives of the consortium, however I would also like to think that the Trust and ZL Group would also enter into discussions and therefore invite fans to another open meeting.... if they do not then we can only assume they have something to hide.

Craig Hamilton

Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 22:21
<> Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the open meeting on Thursday evening, however:-

It would be interesting to hear what supporting evidence the Trust have re "a continuation of the current regime in a different guise." Understandably the Trust are annoyed that another "buyer" has suddenly surfaced (agree that the timing is odd though would McGowan and JB argue that last week's developments pressed ZL into action?) and can appreciate the frustration - it has happened at other clubs where a favourable option seems to be clobbered by one seemingly unfavourable. It just seems as if (at this stage) ZLs actions have been dismissed out of hand without further details.

As has been mentioned above, perhaps JB will be exiting over a period of time under ZL's plans? What financial and practical short and long term implications do ZL have for the club - again this is not known (or is this just speculation on how they might act?) yet ZL has already been dismissed.

There is also a major sponsor (Holenasters) who have backed the club and are with the current board - I assume the Trust statement of "our vision does not include any of the current regime" includes, or does it not include this sponsor?!

A fan boycott seems to be gathering momentum on P & B, is that the feeling with the wider fan base and perhaps this will be proposed at the open meeting? What is the long term purpose of this? To starve the club of fans cash and possibly force it into administration at the end of the season? There seems to be a view that such a scenario will work out fine for the club as the new consortium will come in with a figure and the club will be able to exit administration - I'm not so sure that it will be as straightforward as that given what we have seen over the last 6 months, and also bear in mind there have been plenty of clubs in the UK who did not make it out the other end of administration. By next May the debt will probably have increased and if M & H is a major creditor they could reject a proposal - goodnight Vienna! <>

vanheaver
vanheaver (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 09:07
Having attended the meeting last night I was encouraged to hear not only the spokesperson Stuart Sheilds, (who has supported the trusts KitAid program for a number of years now), but also Bobby Watson and Martin Fergusons vision for the consortiums Business, and footballing plans. It was also stated that this Consortium of Airdrie minded people are here for the long haul and will still be very interested even if the ZL Group take over is successful.

It is very clear by that statement alone they have Airdrieonians best interests at heart.

I and I'm sure others will still have questions that they need answered or information they would like clarified and it is the consortiums intention that with The Trust and Diamonds for Change that these questions will be answered during what is hoped and can best be described as surgeries for small groups of people at the stadium,

It is about time this club of ours was run, by fans for fans.

Craig Hamilton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net