football
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

Re: Airdrie FC News Update 311 - Aug/Sep 2017
24 September, 2017 19:05
Did May not play in that first heavy defeat against Alloa when Archibald was hunted?

Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 11:09
Quote:
Chapelhall man
Did May not play in that first heavy defeat against Alloa when Archibald was hunted?

<> According to Wikipedia he made 6 appearances for us in 2001. <>

Chapelhall man

25 September, 2017 11:21
Quote:
Diamond Forever
Quote:
Chapelhall man

That was the remainder of the liquidation season when we played Alloa in midweek and got thumped 6-0 with a quickly assembled team. I can't remember all the players but Eddie was in midfield. We had a guy playing centre half who never reappeared. I am sure further research will unearth some bad memories.

Diamond Forever

25 September, 2017 17:16
Quote:
Chapelhall man
Quote:
Diamond Forever
Quote:
Chapelhall man

That was the remainder of the liquidation season when we played Alloa in midweek and got thumped 6-0 with a quickly assembled team. I can't remember all the players but Eddie was in midfield. We had a guy playing centre half who never reappeared. I am sure further research will unearth some bad memories.

<> Funnily enough I was thinking it was that 6-0 drubbing, can vaguely remember being at the game! A memorable season indeed...<>

> Match thread now up for the forthcoming Queen's Park home game - [www.pieandbovril.com]

Chapelhall man

25 September, 2017 17:38
That Alloa game did not help them as they were relegated. I think Scott Bannerman played and maybe Alan Ferguson (ex Accies ) in goal? Joe McCalpine at LB? Further research on its way. As for QP on Saturday surely it will be a home win!

Diamond Forever

25 September, 2017 19:20
Quote:
Chapelhall man
That Alloa game did not help them as they were relegated. I think Scott Bannerman played and maybe Alan Ferguson (ex Accies ) in goal? Joe McCalpine at LB? Further research on its way. As for QP on Saturday surely it will be a home win!

> Absolutely inconceivable that we lose the QP game. Even if we do we'll still be 8th, but a cursory look at the league table (albeit only 5 off the play offs) makes grim reading - [www.bbc.co.uk]

Chapelhall man

26 September, 2017 18:39
Quote:
Chapelhall man
Quote:
Diamond Forever
Quote:
Chapelhall man

Alloa 0-6 2001 from Club archivist

Wilson; Boyce and McPherson; Coulter, Trialist (Forge), and Taylor; Armstrong, Bannerman, Dunn, May, and Cameron. Subs. were Davidson (for Boyce), McAlpine (for Cameron), Struthers, and Smith.

Coulter is a metal blade in an old Scots plough so at CB with Forge you would have thought we might have defended better. Wonder what happened to him? Robert Dunn went on to have quite a good season after that (POTY?). McCalpine ended up doing well at QOS? McPherson went to Falkirk? The others are a blank to me now. A few days later we got Owen Coyle on loan and we survived! If only we had him now?

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

26 September, 2017 20:28
Stuart Taylor played a good few games for us .

Chapelhall man

26 September, 2017 22:05
Quote:
jetsky
Stuart Taylor played a good few games for us .

Yep. I think he played in the play off defeat to Stirling( but scored) from whence most of our troubled years have flown. Never forgive Kenny Black for managing to give up a 2 goal lead with 10 minutes to go at Stirling. Mind you Robert Snodgrass did score for them in the second leg, on loan from that bunch Livingston! Hope we don't feature in any more play offs!

Diamond Forever

27 September, 2017 11:27
Quote:
Chapelhall man
Quote:
Chapelhall man
Quote:
Diamond Forever
Quote:
Chapelhall man

Alloa 0-6 2001 from Club archivist

Wilson; Boyce and McPherson; Coulter, Trialist (Forge), and Taylor; Armstrong, Bannerman, Dunn, May, and Cameron. Subs. were Davidson (for Boyce), McAlpine (for Cameron), Struthers, and Smith.

Coulter is a metal blade in an old Scots plough so at CB with Forge you would have thought we might have defended better. Wonder what happened to him? Robert Dunn went on to have quite a good season after that (POTY?). McCalpine ended up doing well at QOS? McPherson went to Falkirk? The others are a blank to me now. A few days later we got Owen Coyle on loan and we survived! If only we had him now?

<> If the Wikipedia entry is accurate then Robert Dunn moved on to Dumbarton and Stirling Albion, he seemed to end his career at Stirling in 2009, meaning he stopped playing professionally at aged 30 - injury perhaps? The Dunn who won the POTY was David Dunn. <>

Diamond Forever

27 September, 2017 11:29
> If only the Under 20s successful start to the season could be replicated by the 1st team! - [en-gb.facebook.com]

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

27 September, 2017 11:46
Will be a good few of the first team squad in the under 20s.no shortage of managers out there now .

Chapelhall man

27 September, 2017 15:50
<> If the Wikipedia entry is accurate then Robert Dunn moved on to Dumbarton and Stirling Albion, he seemed to end his career at Stirling in 2009, meaning he stopped playing professionally at aged 30 - injury perhaps? The Dunn who won the POTY was David Dunn. <>[/quote]

I don't know why I said Robert Dunn but I will go and check. Was there not an old Airdrie motto for the town that "we're no dun yet"-lets hope so?

Chapelhall man

27 September, 2017 15:56
[quote Chapelhall man]<> If the Wikipedia entry is accurate then Robert Dunn moved on to Dumbarton and Stirling Albion, he seemed to end his career at Stirling in 2009, meaning he stopped playing professionally at aged 30 - injury perhaps? The Dunn who won the POTY was David Dunn. <>[/quote]

I don't know why I said Robert Dunn but I will go and check. Was there not an old Airdrie motto for the town that "we're no dun yet"-lets hope so?[/quote]

Yes it was Robert and I just mixed him up with David who came in a later season and did indeed win POTY. Thanks

Diamond Forever

27 September, 2017 23:13
> Talking of Owen Coyle, will he (and assistant Sandy) be resurfacing here shortly? - [www.bbc.co.uk]

<> Whilst you would want to wish him all the best, I can't help thinking that after several years managing incl. the English Premiership he might be returning to the Scottish league with a club arguably smaller than where he started managing (St. Johnstone). Mind you there have been plenty like him - managers at smaller/less significant clubs than where they have been. Perhaps that's just the way it is for the majority of managers, few seem to progress from club to bigger club - and at the end of the day if they love the game and management and it pays the bills, why not?! <>

Diamond Offshore
Diamond Offshore (IP Logged)

28 September, 2017 09:32
Quote:
Diamond Forever
> Talking of Owen Coyle, will he (and assistant Sandy) be resurfacing here shortly? - [www.bbc.co.uk]
<> Whilst you would want to wish him all the best, I can't help thinking that after several years managing incl. the English Premiership he might be returning to the Scottish league with a club arguably smaller than where he started managing (St. Johnstone). Mind you there have been plenty like him - managers at smaller/less significant clubs than where they have been. Perhaps that's just the way it is for the majority of managers, few seem to progress from club to bigger club - and at the end of the day if they love the game and management and it pays the bills, why not?! <>

So Peter Houston and Jim McIntyre are looking for work!

Wonder if they would come to us , for nothing?

Chapelhall man

28 September, 2017 11:10
Diamond offshore

"So Peter Houston and Jim McIntyre are looking for work!

Wonder if they would come to us , for nothing?"

Houston was quoted yesterday as saying he was looking for something different to management, which might qualify him for what we appear to offer but can't see him moving to us. McIntyre has been really poorly treated at Ross County so he might want a break from stress. Did something similar not happen to him at Dumferline and he did bounce back from that. As to working for nothing I have a sense of your irony. If Coyle is at Ross county does he take Sandy Stewart with him and maybe pay money for Scott! ( irony here also)

Diamond Forever

28 September, 2017 14:51
Quote:
Chapelhall man
Diamond offshore
"So Peter Houston and Jim McIntyre are looking for work!

Wonder if they would come to us , for nothing?"

Houston was quoted yesterday as saying he was looking for something different to management, which might qualify him for what we appear to offer but can't see him moving to us. McIntyre has been really poorly treated at Ross County so he might want a break from stress. Did something similar not happen to him at Dumferline and he did bounce back from that. As to working for nothing I have a sense of your irony. If Coyle is at Ross county does he take Sandy Stewart with him and maybe pay money for Scott! ( irony here also)

<> So confirmed today that Coyle arrives at Dingwall with Sandy Stewart as assistant. The critic in me sees Coyle making a management tour of Lancashire (Burnley, Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn) and a brief spell in the USA, eventually ending up back at a level where he started with St. Johnstone. I'm not sure he would have wanted his cv looking like that in hindsight, however the upside is he brings a wealth of experience to Ross County and the club have made a good move. If they do well then you would expect Coyle to be in demand again in Scotland and possibly another crack down south?

The irony is as you say Scott might head up north, Ross County have 2 famous Diamonds in the dugout whilst at present our own club is still managerless... <>

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

28 September, 2017 15:54
Scott maybe head up north ,it will be to keep his dad company travelling up and down the long road ,because he has a longer road to improve to get a game there.

Diamond Forever

28 September, 2017 16:30
<> Given Owen and Sandy are back in the news today I wondered where former Airdrieonians managers were...

Kenny Black - Asst, Bradford City, English League One.

Jimmy Boyle - Head of Youth Dvpt, Dundee, Scottish Premiership.

Gary Bollan - recently sacked as Manager, Forfar Athletic, Scottish League One.

Eddie Wolecki Black - recovering from illness, recent brief stint coaching at BSC Glasgow (last season) ended.

Danny Lennon - no club connection, in the Daily Record in May this year opening up about his spell at St. Mirren and how he was undermined by old hand Tommy Craig.

Kevin McBride - brief spell as Raith Rovers asst. manager from Feb - May last season.

Mark Wilson - continuing at Radio Clyde (no known club connection). <>

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net