football
Latest News:

Dobba
Dobba (IP Logged)

Tonight v Clyde
04 July, 2017 21:42
This club really know how to enthuse fans and sell season tickets. We have no Chairman, no manager and a team who seem to have chucked it before a ball is kicked in earnest. I left at 3 - 0 down tonight. Essentially last season in a nutshell - we faff about trying to retain possession without actually hurting the opposition by going forward. We concede on the 45th minute to an unchallenged header from a corner (sound familiar?). On the other side of the half time break a harmless cross is flapped into his own net by that ludicrous goalkeeper for his customary error (sound familiar?). We then trip someone up who is facing away from goal at the corner of the 18 yd box for a penalty - ridiculous defending (sound familiar?).

I don't know or really care what happened after that but somebody at Thursday's meeting needs to tell anyone who is in charge that we CANNOT start a new season with that 'goalkeeper'.

grant17
grant17 (IP Logged)

Re: Tonight v Clyde
05 July, 2017 06:06
This keeper cost us a lot of points last season, absolutely hopeless, but still seen the season out, he is still here and is just as bad, if not worse, i know you cant read too much in to pre season friendlys, but this is not on, this keeper cant be trusted

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 07:18
Yup..typical Airdrie. It will be half way thro the season before we are up and running !By the sounds of it we need a good Manager who will be able to put a decent side on the park. Early days though.

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 07:57
Yes I think it is very clear to all that watch Airdrie what our first priority is ,but there are a few others in the team that I would not give a game they are simply not good enough and that is bad because we are in a bad league and if this is the best we can put on the park we will be playing Clyde and co soon enough .we need a leader on and off the park and the sooner the better.In true Airdrie style Russell scored a couple in first friendly left on bench th en comes on to score again.It is almost like someone is playing games and seeing how low we can fall.

Brian Bollen
Brian Bollen (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 09:04
I watched a few minutes of the 1974 FA Charity Shield game on YouTube last night. It was a huge breath of fresh air to watch two teams going at one another at every opportunity, constantly looking to move forward rather than sideways or backwards.

It reminded me of why I came to love football in the first place. And underlines why I cannot stand the modern game at the so-called top level.

The tackling by Tommy Smith and Norman Hunter was literally like something out of another era, a joy to watch.

Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 10:47
You would have seen a lot of sideways and backwards last night had you been there, Brian, and it does typify the modern desire to be Barcelona/Spain when in reality at our level goals are usually scored by getting the play quickly into the opposition box. Can't disagree with much of what other posts have said about Clyde friendly if they were there. some promising youngsters on show but a repeat of many of the errors of last season. I watched from one end in first half and thought Ryan was onside at first goal but that's no excuse for hardly a shot at goals until Brown did it at 2 down. As for our management "team" saw no sign of GD and The Donald has a quiet manner about him. The Trust meeting should be interesting; have not been in Workmans since the DOA years, mainly because I am now retired.

marcus2000
CumbyDiamond (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 11:30
GD did venture down to instruct the mannequin Jennow for all the good it did.

Fed up with people making excuses for Ferguson (young) the boy hasn't got it makes too many errors & can't catch a ball or come for a cross / corner

For me Brown should never have been offered a deal & hopefully new manager thinks same (doesn't contribute enough) Gorman still useless at corners & defending headers but with right coach might come good. Most of the young guys show promise but not first team ready.

Chapelhall man

05 July, 2017 12:50
Must have missed that in first half as I was up the other end. Maybe we need that film where the mannequin came to life and prospered( I think it was the 80s?)

marcus2000
CumbyDiamond (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 14:22
Quote:
Chapelhall man
Must have missed that in first half as I was up the other end. Maybe we need that film where the mannequin came to life and prospered( I think it was the 80s?)
Kim Catrall I believe would certainly be better looking if nothing else

MESSAGES->author
Chris Mac (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 14:24
Ignoring everything else that's going on we haven't learnt a thing from last season. It took us until three quarters of the way in to last season to realise that the 4-3-3 <-> 4-5-1 wasn't working and yet we look like we're starting with it once again.

Scott Stewart is not a right back, he's a better wing back and that's why the switch to five at the back suited him and the team.

I'm sorry but none of the reserve/ U'21 players look ready for first team football and once again it looks like we're starting the season two months behind every one else.

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 15:12
Scott Stewart will never be a good defender he can attack though and his heart is in the right place ,it is not easy for him to shorten his natural stride but until he does wingers will turn him inside out every time ,wood be one of the players I would keep for his attacking from wide.

Chapelhall man

05 July, 2017 19:34
Quote:
CumbyDiamond
Quote:
Chapelhall man
Kim Catrall I believe would certainly be better looking if nothing else

Thanks for the memories and apparently she was born in Liverpool whilst the film theme was "Nothings gonna stop us now" so I would take that as inspiration for the season with The Donald.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net