football
Latest News:

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

Today
13 May, 2017 18:18
Well it just wasn't to be after a great final effort.

All credit goes to Mark Wilson and the players for doing so well ..it was a supreme effort.

But the real damage took place during the course of the season and the decision makers at the club are the ones that we have to look at if we are pointing fingers.

I wont name names but there are quite a few who should not be allowed near the club again. OK Gordon ?

grant17
grant17 (IP Logged)

Re: Today
13 May, 2017 18:39
Could not understand bringing Dalziel in, strange decision, but unlucky in the play offs, never thought we would have reached them, now we need to start preparing for next season, a few changes needed tho

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

13 May, 2017 18:51
Great try and thanks to Rohan we were still in the game ,you had a good game today ,sick only because if we had played any where near as good as wednesday we would have got the job done,having said that if we had went through Alloa being 10 point ahead in league would have been disapointed aswell.

Diamondspur
Diamondspur (IP Logged)

13 May, 2017 20:14
No pass marks for anyone today except possibly Rohan too many players hiding and sat too deep inviting them on. I thought they were there for the taking today as they were just as nervous as we were. They just humped high balls in all day and how the big number 11 stayed on after that tackle on Rohan defies belief.

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2017 20:43
Oh well..yet another season in the diddy league.......I suppose its meant for diddy clubs...

Did we ever think that we were good enough for the Championship......never !!!

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

13 May, 2017 20:59
One good point today was our support really good ,if we could get support like that every away game we will not be in diddy league long.

Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

13 May, 2017 22:02
The storm cloud I passed through around Cumbernauld on the way to the game was maybe a predictor of the failure yet again in a play off. I thought we had quite a good first half even if we did stand off a little bit. Alloa never looked like scoring but after Parry had a tremendous save from Russell to prevent a 2 goal lead, they really turned on the action and certainly out passed us for much of the rest of the game. Hints again of defensive slackness let Robertson score that belter, and only Ferguson kept us in it; they had an amazing miss by Spence after we presented a pass back opening. Felt we did cause some bother down their left but never really got the decisive ball in. It did look like penalties would decide it and my neighbor said Parry would stop us going through. Don't blame Russell for missing but we were all holding our breath when he might have given us a 3-1 edge. Not to be once more but had they played like this for much of the season I suspect we would still not have edged out Livingston. I said earlier in the week that Brechin were no mugs and so it proved( Liam Watt). The questions around our management structure still remain and GD should stay on the radio but not darken our door again. As for MW I remain skeptical. Trips to Kirkcaldy for a bit of a freshener.

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

13 May, 2017 22:10
Notice that Raith have parted company with manager and Keven McBride.

Dobba
Dobba (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 13:46
Monday afternoon and only now able to look back after Saturday's disappointment. I thought we weren't quite at it although made numerous half chances which, on another day, one might have gone in. Parry, their keeper, put them through while our keeper Ferguson probably had his best game, making more saves than he's made in half the season.

Whether the 'offside' goal should have stood, from where I was sitting and from the replays, it's impossible to tell although guys standing directly in line said it was definately onside as Scotty had cut it back or was at least level. My understanding is that the pass has to be FORWARD to a player in an 'offside' position however maybe Scottish officials don't realise that. Too often we seemed to slow play down, stopping with the ball looking for a pass rather than keep a high tempo going and couldn't quite match their energy levels. One of their guys made a 60 yard run with the ball in the last 5 minutes of extra time whilst we seemed to be hanging on for penalties.

A nice 750 Diamonds support right behind the team though and hopefully the players realise that an Airdrie team challenging at the top can take these sort of numbers to these wee away grounds. Speaking of which, the thought of going up the north east every 2nd week to the likes of Peterheid, East Fife, Raith, Arbroath, Forfar, Brechin, etc isn't great.

I hope, for once we can actually have a settled team on the park for the start of the season with a solid defence and goal keeper (losing 60-odd goals was ridiculous), in order to get off to a flyer in the league and avoid the usual early cup exits. This is the 3rd tier - these teams will kick it long and fight for scraps so we must have a team which can deal with it. Management team - high tempo please, attacking play, balls in the box and solid defence and goal keeper (re-sign Parry).

Airdrie till we die.

grant17
grant17 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 15:48
Would be good if we could have Parry back, but did he not leave because he did not want to go full time?

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 19:13
To be honest another season in this league just depresses me.

Ditherspoon arrived promising everything with his new regime and full time football. It doesn't seem that we have progressed in any way at all.

Who knows what the plans are for next season. With the same decision makers at the helm I have absolutely no confidence that we will see any improvement next season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2017 19:14 by Rusty2.

Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 20:46
Quote:
Rusty2
To be honest another season in this league just depresses me.
Ditherspoon arrived promising everything with his new regime and full time football. It doesn't seem that we have progressed in any way at all.

Who knows what the plans are for next season. With the same decision makers at the helm I have absolutely no confidence that we will see any improvement next season.

<> At least we should have a good ding dong with Ayr and Raith, Rovers again and new boys Arbroath will be interesting with Mr. Airdrie aka Bryan Prunty playing for them! But it won't be straightforward, in fact I would hazard a guess it will be tougher than this season at the top, for if you add in potentially Brechin or (cough) Alloa and a revenge driven Bollan with Forfar (or a rejuvenated Peterhead) then it looks quite tricky all round...

This season was an ideal opportunity to get promoted and although we made the play offs we were miles behind Livingston and 10 points behind part time Alloa. Add in the poor displays and woeful defence/keeper leaking goals week in week out to produce one of the worst goals against in the SPFL, the bizarre decision to replace a rookie manager with...a rookie manager, oh and the shambles of Faria, Taylor Morgan, Schmidt etc...In all honesty if we had got up it would have been a miracle under the circumstances.

On reflection though there have perhaps been factors - the rookie manager perhaps under budget constraints? The poor goalkeeping down to not giving Rohan a rest with a more experienced keeper taking over and saving Rohan from being exposed due to his awful defence? The change of manager affecting the players? Perhaps some of the players just not good enough?

Wotherspoon has delivered on full time football, he did say there would be "setbacks" and it is all part of an initial 3 year plan (can see that being extended though!). There is no instant way on to success - it took Dunfermline a couple of seasons to get out of this league, with finances bigger than us? Look at Ayr, back down within a season, and Raith - losing to Brechin. I am still prepared to give TW the benefit of the doubt. I think he has been let down by people he thought could do the job and/or has been given poor advice.

Perhaps if Mark Wilson was given funds to get in some decent players (midfield and defence?) we might just see him being here and staying on to try and get the job done? Personally I think he needs proper experience beside him and a contract just till the end of the year - extend it if we are doing well but MW might feel his position is being compromised if that was suggested/implemented. <>

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 21:19
Dont get me wrong I think the players and Manager did well to make the play offs.

For me however the season was too much of a rollercoaster thanks to the mistakes made by the Board. As I said before ..how can you expect a settled situation on the playing side when behind the scenes the situation is constantly in upheaval. Far too many mistakes were made.and sorry..I have no confidence that the situation will improve under the present owner.

Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 22:18
Quote:
Rusty2
Dont get me wrong I think the players and Manager did well to make the play offs.
For me however the season was too much of a rollercoaster thanks to the mistakes made by the Board. As I said before ..how can you expect a settled situation on the playing side when behind the scenes the situation is constantly in upheaval. Far too many mistakes were made.and sorry..I have no confidence that the situation will improve under the present owner.

<> The target at the start of the season was to make the play offs, so mission accomplished there. Whilst we could debate long and hard about how we got from point A start of the season to point B the play offs the manner on how we got there was shambolic - did I mention the 16 games we lost out of 36 and the disgraceful displays against for example Albion Rovers at home?!

You could argue that the players had to cope with a change of manager, probably this affected them more rather than TW's lack of engagement since the end of last year. And who knows what impact Gordon Dalziel had (or not) on the squad.

Your last sentence I can understand your lack of belief in TW going forward. But are we any worse now than this time last year? Apart from TW burning through cash and appointing individuals who couldn't do it, what else? Attendances are marginally up on last season, sponsorship and support is motoring on, we have some half decent players in the first team. Unless there is some other investor waiting in the wings we default to a plan of "managed decline."

If TW can support Wilson with real experience or place an experienced manager in place of MW and look to find some decent signings then the outlook could be pretty good. But the more time goes by the more it looks as if Wilson and Dalziel will carry on "as you were" but here's some funding. <>

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 22:29
If we could start next season they way we played on Wednesday we will not have to fear anyone. In this league.roll on next season I moan and groan about the team but Saturday's not Saturday without Airdrie.

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 22:49
Sorry but while Dalziel remains at the club there will be nothing but bad feeling. Its so obvious nobody wants him here

Diamond Offshore
Diamond Offshore (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 08:34
Quote:
Rusty2
Sorry but while Dalziel remains at the club there will be nothing but bad feeling. Its so obvious nobody wants him here

Is it really?

See what the budget is for next season, assess and trim down the squad, bring in some experienced players. Full time (training during the day) some players are on less pay than part timers.
Doesn't sound as if Gordon is going anywhere, so you and all your mates should get used to him being around for a while yet! (Sm105)

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 10:44
Yes its true..the mans a waste of space....absolutely

Spitzy
Spitzy (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 16:43
Dalziel and Wilson have the chance to prove their worth by putting together their own squad capable of winning league 1.

Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 23:35
Quote:
Diamond Offshore
Quote:
Rusty2

Is it really?

See what the budget is for next season, assess and trim down the squad, bring in some experienced players. Full time (training during the day) some players are on less pay than part timers.
Doesn't sound as if Gordon is going anywhere, so you and all your mates should get used to him being around for a while yet! (Sm105)
Clearly the phrase "nobody wants him here" is just exasperation at GD's non show in the season ended, as far as many could see. If the Budget for next season includes money going to him for not being there on a Saturday, I can understand supporters doing likewise. If "being around" is repeated with the same woes as last season the club will lose much of the goodwill from many of us over the last season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net