football
Latest News:

Tory Boy
Tory Boy (IP Logged)

Segregation Fence
30 March, 2017 14:57
I see Morton have started work on converting the 'Cowshed', once again away supports will get part of the terracing.

I know its a bit pie in the sky as we don't own the stadium and we have bigger problems with the shambles on the park. But I just wish somehow we could find a way to fund converting the East Stand to terracing with a segregation fence down the middle. What a difference it would make attending home games with a bit of atmosphere again!

Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

Re: Segregation Fence
30 March, 2017 16:17
Given that Celtic could only do this with their moveable seats Idon't know if football grounds legislation would allow it. Can't see the stadium company putting up the money. I also used to think the east stand should have been the home stand as the sun ( in Airdrie I know) tends to make it the warmer stand for us old pensioners etc; maybe the manager would appreciate it because he would stay at the West side! No need for segregation if it was home fans only and given our crowds that would work for the young team no doubt. Interesting idea.

Tory Boy
Tory Boy (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 16:51
Quote:
Chapelhall man
Given that Celtic could only do this with their moveable seats Idon't know if football grounds legislation would allow it. Can't see the stadium company putting up the money. I also used to think the east stand should have been the home stand as the sun ( in Airdrie I know) tends to make it the warmer stand for us old pensioners etc; maybe the manager would appreciate it because he would stay at the West side! No need for segregation if it was home fans only and given our crowds that would work for the young team no doubt. Interesting idea.

Yeah it would have to be 'Safe Standing' terracing (like Celtic's).

Having it just for home fans wouldn't be anywhere as good. You want the vocal supports closer to create a bit of atmosphere. When the stadium opened the East Stand was split between home and away support. I sat in the East Stand for the first couple of games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/03/2017 16:51 by Tory Boy.

Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 20:19
Quote:
Tory Boy
I see Morton have started work on converting the 'Cowshed', once again away supports will get part of the terracing.
I know its a bit pie in the sky as we don't own the stadium and we have bigger problems with the shambles on the park. But I just wish somehow we could find a way to fund converting the East Stand to terracing with a segregation fence down the middle. What a difference it would make attending home games with a bit of atmosphere again!

<> Morton's idea is a good one - sometimes when the away fans are put in their main stand at the end it's a bit of a squeeze. Bigger supports are put in the Dublin end (behind the goal) but if it's raining it's a disaster over there. In the Cowshed achieves an atmosphere plus dry heads if it pi55es down.

As for ourselves as you say the biggest obstacle is the stadium not being owned by us - it would need to be removeable/replaceable seats for the football and of course concerts. And just how many of our fans would go over there given the present crowds? There's the added costs of stewarding, opening toilets/kiosk at each game etc... I can see where you are coming from but at present TW would probably tell us to move from the far end of the main stand to nearer the away fans in the main stand if we want some atmosphere!

I still recall the days at Broomfield before the seg fence - as shared on here before the most memorable "event" was when we were playing St Johnstone and the OB decided to go for their tea break at half time - got very interesting! <>

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

30 March, 2017 21:11
Likewise..I can recall the great atmosphere in a full Broomfield..eg in the days of the Texaco Cup.

Unfortunately these days are gone because there is not the same support for football as there once was...and in our case......the people running our club dont have a clue.

Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

31 March, 2017 10:46
Having it just for home fans wouldn't be anywhere as good. You want the vocal supports closer to create a bit of atmosphere. When the stadium opened the East Stand was split between home and away support. I sat in the East Stand for the first couple of games.[/quote]

I take your point about atmosphere . I don't remember the East Stand ever being open to both sets but I defer to your recollections.

Sandy Jamieson
Sandy Jamieson (IP Logged)

31 March, 2017 11:44
I remember the pre-segregation days at Broomfield when the Police set up the "boxing ring"

Fun and games aplenty.....

Tory Boy
Tory Boy (IP Logged)

31 March, 2017 18:49
Quote:
Sandy Jamieson
I remember the pre-segregation days at Broomfield when the Police set up the "boxing ring"
Fun and games aplenty.....

In fact scrap my idea, lets do this at New Broomfield. hahaha

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

31 March, 2017 20:12
Come to think of it..we have plenty of segregation within the club. We have a Chairman and Manager who refuse to speak to supporters. Think about it.....these are the custodians of the club..yet they have chosen not to connect with the support..the customers..Without our support there would be no club. The big worry here this that many fans have already chosen to stay away.

All we get is complete silence from those running the club...its no surprise that we are sinking fast !

grant17
grant17 (IP Logged)

01 April, 2017 07:23
We are certainly in a mess just now, with wotherspoon bringing in inexperienced managers, a DOF who does not go to the games, the future is not looking good, as above post says, segregation is in place with those 3 idiots, it is no wonder fans are staying away, myself included, as long as wilson and dalziel are there, i wont be back

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

01 April, 2017 11:16
Segregation will not affect Airdrie, never enough fans there and getting less by the games we play.Need a good result at Peterhead the day.1-4 Airdrie.well it is April fools day 🙈🙈

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net