Latest News:
13 Jun, 2012 10:58 Report
Chris Mac (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Sep, 2003
Do we really want 1st Div Football?
I'm not saying we shouldn't want to be playing in as high a league as possible or that we should refuse to be promoted if it comes our way once agian.

But there is not one long away trip in the whole league the furthest to the east would be Cowdenbeath who are also the furthest North (if Dundee are promoted) and Dumbarton to the west.

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 11:19 Report
GSTQ (IP Logged)

Date Joined: May, 2007
Re: Do we really want 1st Div Football?
yes i want 1st division football

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 12:06 Report
wee henry (IP Logged)

A massive YES-the thought of playing home games against Forfar,brechin ,East Fife,Arbroath is nothing to look forward to.Yes the away trips are brilliant but so would Dunfermline,Raith and even Livvy-not as long but up early for a pub day out

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 12:06 Report
S K B (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Jun, 2012
If the squad can be improved division 1 should not be beyond us, but if we end up with the same caliber of players as last season it could be a long hard slog to avoid the drop.......

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 12:30 Report
AirdrieLad1977 (IP Logged)

Aye. (Sm48)

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 13:04 Report
Bulldog Eleven (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Aug, 2009
I'm a little mixed up with all this, I only travel to close away games so the locale of the teams in the first division appeals, but I hate being treated like a criminal being herded in and out of certain grounds.

Plus the extra cost of policing to the club due to overzealous fans means the club may not benefit from the hopefully increased attendances.

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 13:58 Report
Chris Mac (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Sep, 2003
Opposing thoughts on the Pie and Bovril

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 17:05 Report
Sean Smith (IP Logged)

Date Joined: May, 2012
Bring it on I say. Would much rather play the likes of Thistle, falkirk, Accies, etc than the likes of East Fife and Stenhousemuir. And with two part - time teams in the league already and Raith going partially part - time, I think, it wouldn't be impossible to stay up.

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 17:10 Report
ACC (IP Logged)

Chris you do have some bizarre views

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 17:30 Report
Scott H (IP Logged)

Albeit I'd welcome the opportunity to play in a higher league against the Dunfermlines and Particks of this world, We are nowhere ready for Div1. If we are promoted with this current side we'll be cannon fodder. Only a miracle would stop us from coming straight back down. In fact if we were to perform the miracle and stay up, wee Jimmy could write his own ticket.
Anyone believes anything different is deluded IMO

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 18:23 Report
Adolf Hitler (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Oct, 2004
We get to play at a higher level, it'd bring in bigger crowds, so more money if we do go down again to get better players for another go at the second.Its a no brainer as far as im concerned.

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 20:04 Report
SandyB (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Jun, 2008
Naw - Second division as thats where we will end up.

A good bottle of Ukrainian vodka and being a pest....more appealing

wedrinkanybeer.com

ReplyQuote

13 Jun, 2012 21:18 Report
EyesOpen (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Mar, 2011
Do we really want it ? What a daft question, of course we do!
Do we need it ? Well thats a completely different matter.

I agree with what some are saying regarding money, crowds ect...but as it stands we're building our squad to challenge for the second division title, not to survive in the first. As far as im concerned, we're right where we want to be.

Have a pop at the second again, hopefully with a great chance of winning it, if not, at least 2nd or 3rd. Get ourselves up the right way, for once. Then, set our focus on the first and staying in it.

ReplyQuote

14 Jun, 2012 06:30 Report
big jim-wrexham diamond (IP Logged)

Obviously we do, but this current team isn't good enough. The only good thing is that maybe we could finis above Dumbarton or Cowdenbeath, but we would need to strengthen almost all areas if we want to play 1st division

ReplyQuote

14 Jun, 2012 15:35 Report
Lord Roden (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Jul, 2005
No,we really want SPL football,but the only way to get that is "Onwards and Upwards".

ReplyQuote

15 Jun, 2012 22:34 Report
airdrieonians (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Sep, 2009
Agreed Lord Roden. SPL at a minimum, i would accept div 1 for a couple of seasons as we prepare a push onwards to Europe. why the @#$%& would anyone you accept Div 2.
it they roaster scummy @#$%& from southern lanarkshire can end up in champions league why should we be left in the nether regions among shite that we should be taking 6 off everyweek.

ReplyQuote

16 Jun, 2012 13:14 Report
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

Date Joined: Dec, 2004
Of course we do. Being realistic though - are we ready for it? Dont think so - getting good results for half a season in Div 2 is really not enough - we still have to prove ourselves.

ReplyQuote

18 Jun, 2012 10:15 Report
Airdrie Al (IP Logged)

Just had a look at the signed players for 1st division clubs. Hamilton are full of youngsters, they have released the majority of their experienced players. Raith have lost their best players, and are pretty much part time now. Dunfermline fans suggesting survival is their goal for this season. The Morton squad so far is weaker than ours. Given the amount of decent players who have been released in the division, and yet to find new clubs, I reckon this is the perfect time to move up. Div 1 football may be what it takes to get Adam to sign up, along with a few other quality players.

Games against Falkirk, Dunfermline, Thistle & Morton or Forfar, Rovers, Arbroath & Alloa.

Here's hoping Rangers newco go to Div 3, and we move up to Div 1.

ReplyQuote

19 Jun, 2012 10:47 Report
Benano (IP Logged)

Junior football is more appealing than the Second Division.

ReplyQuote
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net