football
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

Airdrie United - '02-'12 - The first 10 years
24 May, 2012 13:21
<> As another season ends, it's hard to believe it's 10 years since our club folded and the despair - I will never forget drawing up at the house in the car and hearing it coming over the news that we had gone bust. Then a wee while later having the sickener that Gretna had got in ahead of us. Here are my own personal highs and lows over the last decade. Any thoughts?

Highs:- 1st game of the new club v Forfar - 2200 in the stadium, bright sunny day, 1-0 victory!

Kilmarnock away in the cup - That win on penalties for me overshadowed any other cup victories (Hearts/Dunfermline) as "Airdrie are back" was the cry!

League 2 run in & win - Great stuff - catching Morton & beating them at home - we had to open the stand behind the goal for home fans!

Alba Cup at Perth - Went to penalties & lifted the trophy v Ross County!

Seeing young players come through like Watt & Donnelly etc..

Lows:- Missing out on promotion at Stranraer, a lot of games under Kenny Black, play off defeats (of which the latest was hard to take), realisation the club are no further forward in league terms than where we were 10 years ago.

The last point is difficult to swallow - I really thought we would have established ourselves as a 1st Division club by now - defeats to Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Albion Rovers, East Fife this season has brought the reality home - we are a (big) part time club who at the moment can only develop young players in the hope they will move on and bring in money to the club. I do commend the club for that, and I guess that is one note of optimism for the future.

Ah well here's to the next 10 years! I wonder what these years will bring?! <>

Benano
Benano (IP Logged)

Re: Airdrie United - '02-'12 - The first 10 years
24 May, 2012 14:25
There's been a few decent trips for atmosphere, most of which you've mentioned. As well as Maryhill for Thrills....

The biggest low is losing 114 important play-off games (feels like 114).
It's rare to see an Airdrie team curl up and die the way we have so many times - and that's WITH the fans' backing.

Going part-time, another low. But what do we expect serving up dross in front of 700 fans.

Anyway, we're still here, just. I'm sure there will always will be in Airdrie, even if that's in the Juniors.

Europe anyone by 2022?................

GSTQ
GSTQ (IP Logged)

24 May, 2012 15:10
Europe this year..............

Prague revisited 2012

C.O.C goes international

C.O.C partying like it's 1982 (or 1992 in this case) (Sm128)(Sm145)(Sm129)

Diamond Forever

24 May, 2012 15:58
Quote:
Benano
There's been a few decent trips for atmosphere, most of which you've mentioned. As well as Maryhill for Thrills....
The biggest low is losing 114 important play-off games (feels like 114).
It's rare to see an Airdrie team curl up and die the way we have so many times - and that's WITH the fans' backing.

Going part-time, another low. But what do we expect serving up dross in front of 700 fans.

Anyway, we're still here, just. I'm sure there will always will be in Airdrie, even if that's in the Juniors.

Europe anyone by 2022?................

<> JBs words in the programme on Saturday!

Just thought of another high - relegating Ayr United at Somerset last week - surely that's right up there for us? Makes up for quite a bit, that one! (Sm152)

And at least some of our fans will enjoy Europe later this year!(Sm64) <>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2012 15:59 by Diamond Forever.

TheB
TheB (IP Logged)

24 May, 2012 16:06
Shutting the sons of maryhill up for good, embarrassing the jambos in Edinburgh, chapping the door of the glasweigan, food fights on the main street to name but a few!

The cup game at dunfermline was immense, days like that are few and far between

Diamond Forever

24 May, 2012 16:34
Quote:
TheB
Shutting the sons of maryhill up for good, embarrassing the jambos in Edinburgh, chapping the door of the glasweigan, food fights on the main street to name but a few!

<> Was wondering if that would ahem... turnip (Sm12) as a highlight! (Sm6) <>

24 May, 2012 16:53
For me, I genuinely think that we almost were too successful too early. I know that might sound daft, but it's undeniable that the likes of Allan McManus, Owen Coyle, Marvyn Wilson (and even Mark Roberts although he was @#$%&) turned down better financial offers elsewhere to play for Airdrie.

That gave us, for a spell, players that were actually better than we could afford, therefore giving us fans possibly a higher expectation than the reality. If that makes sense.

Granted the football has been poor of recent seasons, but I think that we have found our level, unless finances greatly improve. If a top second division/low first division team is all that the finances dictate, then I dont think we can be complaining too much about it.

AirdrieLad1977
AirdrieLad1977 (IP Logged)

24 May, 2012 18:00
Quote:
TheB

(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

Maggy Badface
Maggy Badface (IP Logged)

24 May, 2012 18:14
Quote:
AirdrieLad1977
Quote:
TheB

(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)
Dunfermline away was one of the best games I've ever watched gives me goosebumps watching it on you tube...

Diamond Forever

24 May, 2012 18:22
Quote:
big jim-wrexham diamond
For me, I genuinely think that we almost were too successful too early. I know that might sound daft, but it's undeniable that the likes of Allan McManus, Owen Coyle, Marvyn Wilson (and even Mark Roberts although he was @#$%&) turned down better financial offers elsewhere to play for Airdrie.
That gave us, for a spell, players that were actually better than we could afford, therefore giving us fans possibly a higher expectation than the reality. If that makes sense.

Granted the football has been poor of recent seasons, but I think that we have found our level, unless finances greatly improve. If a top second division/low first division team is all that the finances dictate, then I
dont think we can be complaining too much about it.

<> So long as we stay part time then are we limited to what we can achieve (league wise) over the next few years? I suppose if you look at how Ayr Utd. struggled in the 1st being part time then that might give us a big clue! Then again, if we look back when we were Airdrieonians we were part time?

My fear last year was we would do a Clyde and plummet to the 3rd. Mind you, look at Alloa - they have come back with a bounce. But I guess over the next few years we should be looking up - not down. Maybe we can get another Div. 2 title at some point in the next few years and another wee crack in the Alba?! I still think we should be aiming for mid/upper table Division 1 - I thought we would have been there by now, but as you say maybe it came too soon for us. <>

Polomint
Murraymint (IP Logged)

24 May, 2012 20:20
I honestly believe that the "business model" that JB has adhered to will ultimately take us to out true League position, as the so-called bigger clubs have to re-structure and live more within their means (part-time or semi-professional)

Highlight - undoubtedly the game at home v's Morton where they were pelted with betting slips, and Gowser was majestic!

Lows - toss-up between the long, long journey back from Stranraer, or one of the KB games where the spectacle of him standing on the touchline in the p!ssing rain whilst his team lost all its shape in front of him just about summed it up. I genuinely felt sorry for him, because he's a really nice man. The only time I've ever walked out of an Airdrie game early...

Maggy Badface

24 May, 2012 20:26
Quote:
Polomint
I honestly believe that the "business model" that JB has adhered to will ultimately take us to out true League position, as the so-called bigger clubs have to re-structure and live more within their means (part-time or semi-professional)
Highlight - undoubtedly the game at home v's Morton where they were pelted with betting slips, and Gowser was majestic!

Lows - toss-up between the long, long journey back from Stranraer, or one of the KB games where the spectacle of him standing on the touchline in the p!ssing rain whilst his team lost all its shape in front of him just about summed it up. I genuinely felt sorry for him, because he's a really nice man. The only time I've ever walked out of an Airdrie game early...
Can't believe you stayed for whole of Dumbarton(Sm102)

Dunc da Diamond
Dunc da Diamond (IP Logged)

24 May, 2012 22:34
There's been highs and lows, but I sure remember the good days better. The Dunfermline and Hearts games and trophy day against Morton stand out of course, but there's been plenty of cracking goals, the atmosphere when the team's on a run... it makes the grim 0-0 draws away at Brechin and the like worth it!

There have been disappointments, and if you'd have asked me at the start of the 2002-03 season if I thought we'd be in the second division nine years on, I don't think I'd have been especially happy about the prospect. Still, I think the business model the club seems to be following now is much more sustainable than a) it has been in the past and b) is for many clubs currently playing in the first division. That will pay dividends in the years to come, even if it's not obvious now.

I certainly feel much better about Airdrie now than I have for a good few seasons now and look forward to coming back for more next year.

Glenmavis Diamond
Glenmavis Diamond (IP Logged)

25 May, 2012 10:10
The Dunfermline game is definately a stand out as is Hearts away in the cup.

Lows; Play off deafeat after play off defeat, but the worst was away at Clyde when the likes of Holmes etc didnt even try a leg. Really poor & they genuinely did not give a flying fu(k.

Whilst Sunday was dissappointing i still believe that the majority of the team tried & cared about winning.

kalidonian B
kalidonian B (IP Logged)

25 May, 2012 10:41
Quote:
TheB

This plus seeing your generation coming of age.To name a few yourself, GSTQ, Tory Boy etc etc. Boys developing into men and doing us proud. Many doubted you but I always stood by yous.

Polomint
Murraymint (IP Logged)

25 May, 2012 12:06
Quote:
kalidonian B
Quote:
TheB

This plus seeing your generation coming of age.To name a few yourself, GSTQ, Tory Boy etc etc. Boys developing into men and doing us proud. Many doubted you but I always stood by yous.

Just like the Eton Rifles

Diamond Forever

25 May, 2012 13:47
Quote:
Polomint

<> For all the Klueless comments etc.. etc.. the saddest part aboout that whole debacle was seeing a stalwart of Airdrieonians being reduced to what you described. Old ground I know - but he should never have received that extension to his contract and that whole period nearly killed JB and the club. sad smiley <>

Maggy Badface

25 May, 2012 14:06
Quote:
kalidonian B
Quote:
TheB

I'm hurt Tory got a mention before me(Sm58)

Benano
Benano (IP Logged)

25 May, 2012 14:48
Quote:
Maggy Badface
Quote:
kalidonian B
Quote:
TheB

I'm hurt Tory got a mention before me(Sm58)

Imagine GSTQ getting a mention - he's a nobody....

TheB
TheB (IP Logged)

25 May, 2012 15:01
Quote:
kalidonian B
Quote:
TheB

Appreciated and remembered mate (Sm152)

Some genuinely great times that I'll remember as long as I live, AIRDRIE (getting on a bit now) YOUTH!!

Still never forgot the time I seen you kick a boy in the puss from a standing position ha ha

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net