football
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
cowboy
cowboy (IP Logged)

Today at Stenny
07 April, 2012 18:07
Excellent performance. Far better unit at the back and stallard seems to be more effective playing in front of the back 4.

Lynch sending off was very harsh. He'd played very well although at the moment we seem to have good cover with blockely likely to step in for lynch

Need to keep this going

Polomint
Murraymint (IP Logged)

Re: Today at Stenny
07 April, 2012 18:49
Brian Winters!?
Bernie Winters would have reffed the game better.
He booked 4 Airdrie players before carding any Stenny players. Sent off Lynch for a ball to hand 2nd yellow with about 1 minute left. And this is the clown who yellow carded a player at St Johnston twice in the same game without sending him off. The fat b'stard should pack it in.

Just Me
Just Me (IP Logged)

07 April, 2012 19:01
Funny how Airdrie fans always think the ref's against them.
Must be a conspiracy.
That having been said, things are now getting interesting. Some crucial games coming up. At long last the manager seems to have sorted out the defence.

Big G...
Big G... (IP Logged)

07 April, 2012 19:53
Quote:
Just Me
Funny how Airdrie fans always think the ref's against them.
Must be a conspiracy.
That having been said, things are now getting interesting. Some crucial games coming up. At long last the manager seems to have sorted out the defence.

I wouldn't give Boyle all the credit for that. Grant Adam seems to have sorted out the defence, more like. The Back 4 are now playing their own game, instead of being worried what the clown behind them is going to do. They have a confidence in Adam that we haven#'t seen with any other goalkeeper this year, and that has allowed them to concentrate on their own jobs. The fact that MacDonald has alos come in, because of Stallards red card, has steadied the ship somewhat, or I think Boyle would still have been picking Stallard at centre half. Circumstances rather than good judgement, and managerial skill has found us the central defensive pairing we have been looking for all season. What has also helped is the signing of a proper right back. Mcneil just seems tio know when to stay and when to go, and I think him and Bain seem to work the right flank well, as a team.

While any team in the Division would have Jamie Stevenson starting every week, barring injury, I think that Lynch and Stallard work well together. I think Stallard is now showing what he is capable of, having moved forward. Again, I would say, more circumstancial than good judgement, due to Stevenson being injured.

All in all, a fairly comfortable win, with us also missing a penalty, and Donnelly chipping the keeper, but hitting the bar. Got to be happy with current form, and it will be interesting to see what Boyle does next week in the absence of Lynch.

bd14
bd14 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2012 20:49
The team look more solid both in central defence and midfield. I thought both MacDonald and McLaren in particular were excellent today.

07 April, 2012 21:19
Sorry, but did Jimmy not sign McDonald and Adam? So how can he not be responsible for the recent run?

If you are prepared to give him grief for his signings that don't work, then you have to give him praise for the signings that do work.

Big G...
Big G... (IP Logged)

07 April, 2012 21:38
Were Macdonalds first couple of games not a full back to cover for our lack of right back, and sus[pension of Lovering at left back? He only moved into the centre when stallard was suspended, and lamie was injured if i remember correctly? Apologies if this isn't 100% accurate, but it was circumstances that dictated he play in the centre.
Adam was essential as there was no way we could carry on with fairley. i wouldn't mind betting that if any other SPL club had offered us a young GK on loan, then we would have taken that. I doubt very much if Jimmy went out with Grant Adam in mind.
I still think he is quite clueless when it comes to making subs, especially if the other team makes changes to fiormation etc. he doesn't seem to be able to work out how to counteract this.
I will conced though, that Jimmy is the Manager during our best run for a couple of seasons, and say well done to him and the team!!

Diamond_in_ghent
Diamond_in_ghent (IP Logged)

07 April, 2012 22:29
Macdonald was picked up after Livi released him. His first game was at centre half against Dumbarton when he stood on Prunty. Got put out to full back due to a lack of an answer in that position (Bain hadn't looked great all year and Green had a couple of dodgy performances. Think the idea was always to play him at centre half and he has been very impressive. He has also brought out the best in Lilly. Long may it continue.

diamondred
diamondred (IP Logged)

07 April, 2012 22:33
Nope! I'm sure he came in at centre half and got sent off. Then played another few games before being suspended. People need to get a grip on this board. Playing really well just now we are still fu::ing jumping on the managers back. He has made to fantastic signings that has changed the course of the season but he is still a di,k. Look where we are as a club in general!

07 April, 2012 22:46
In terms of McDonald, he was signed as a centre-half, but was forced out wide after his first game.

As for the keeper situation, I think he went after Allan Combe first and didn't get him, but neither I nor you are aware of whether or not Jimmy Boyle went after Grant Adam or was offered him by Rangers. Either way, it's essentially irrelevant cos he still made the signing and it's been a season changer.

He saw Jamie Bain was a shite defender and did something about that. He saw we needed a left sided midfielder and got Willie McLaren. He saw we needed a new keeper and got Grant Adam. He saw we needed a new centre back and got Cammy McDonald. He saw we needed a new right back and got Euan McNeil.

I admit, tactically and with substitutions I'm often a bit baffled, and why did it take him until February to realise we essentially needed four or five new players, but he made the signings and they have paid off.

cowboy
cowboy (IP Logged)

07 April, 2012 22:49
Eh about the game we just won convincingly. Wullie s goal was a peach. Big G probably has another explanation tho. Something about the planet tilting at the right time maybe.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Mac (IP Logged)

07 April, 2012 23:28
As far as I'm led to believe we attempted to sign Grant Adam at the beginning of the season (on Loan) but Rangers opted for Forfar....Jimmy finally got his man it seems

RatOot
RatOot (IP Logged)

07 April, 2012 23:34
What a difference to a defence when they have a keeper they can place trust in. Someone who isnt afraid to leave his line.

Big G...
Big G... (IP Logged)

08 April, 2012 00:21
Yeah cowboy, good to see your right on topic as usual. Planet is relevant to your posts, but it is usually preceded with the word "other". You're the guy that thought we should all get behind Kenny Blacks team for no other reason than they wore a Diamond, and played under the name of Airdrie, aren't you?

To the others who think I am detracting from what we have acheived, that is not my intention. I go and watch the team, Home most of the time, and away when I can make it. Yes, I was there today, and yes, I cheered as loudly as anyone when the ball hit the back of the net. Yes, I am very optimistic that we can get to the playoffs, and yes, I'm certain that we can give a good account of ourselves.

Where I seem to differ in opinion from the majority of this board, is that I am of the opinion that all this has been acheived despite, rather than because of, Jimmy Boyles managerial ability. As conceded above, his substitrutions, at times, have been baffling this season. How many times, have we heard team announcements, looked at each other and went, "what?"

Now, I'm just as happy as any Airdrie supporter that we have hit this run of form coming to a very important part of the season. I'm just not convinced that it was all as pre-planned as some of you are making it out to be. I'm not convinced that Jimmy Boyle has suddenly seen the light overnight, and become Sir Alex Ferguson. For each grant Adam, and Cammy MacDonald you want to throw at me, I will give you a Conor Fairley, and Chris Malone in return.

Just because I have a differing opinion as to how we are in the current league position, doesn't make me want to support the club any less, or make me any less of a supporter. Some of you seem to think I am dissing the club with my opinion. If that were the case, why haven't i given up on them by now, because god knows, there have been plenty of times this season when I have thought "why bother?"

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

Texaco Fan
Texaco Fan (IP Logged)

08 April, 2012 09:20
We all knew we needed a keeper. It should have been sorted out at the beginning of the season (along with a left sided midfielder). McKane and Fairley were never going to be the answer.

Although late in the day it's fixed now though. No reason why we can't make the play offs and Jimmy Boyle deserves credit for the way we're now playing.

Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

08 April, 2012 11:15
<> Let's not forget our horrendous results earlier in the season, bizarre substitutions and playing players out of position.... BUT there's no denying we are on a good run - there seems to be less pressure on Donnelly to score now as there are plenty of other players chipping in with goals, we are better at the back, better goalkeeper etc... etc... If only we had been like this from the start! - however we are where we are, and it's given us some optimism at the end of the season.

Based on the last 2 months and his managerial award, plus his working with Donnelly and other players, I now think Ballantyne will keep Jimmy here for another season (irrespective of whether we make the play offs). <>

super Ally
Johnny Texas (IP Logged)

08 April, 2012 11:24
Willie McClaren looks like he is only fit enough to last maybe 70 mins no more, but worth playing because he can play a bit. Jamie Bain looks very weak and could end up loosing his place to Jamie Stevenson,he is small and lightweight and the game passes him by quite often.
We certainly are looking a stronger outfit just now and I think that is down to Grant Adam ,Mcdonald and Lilley. Could be an intersting end to the season.

Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

08 April, 2012 11:54
Quote:
Johnny Texas
Willie McClaren looks like he is only fit enough to last maybe 70 mins no more, but worth playing because he can play a bit. Jamie Bain looks very weak and could end up loosing his place to Jamie Stevenson,he is small and lightweight and the game passes him by quite often.
We certainly are looking a stronger outfit just now and I think that is down to Grant Adam ,Mcdonald and Lilley. Could be an intersting end to the season.

<> I know he has been off the boil once or twice, but for me that was a very good signing by Jimmy in the New Year. Willie has scored goals too, and he has made a difference to the team. I remember watching him v Dundee United - he had a couple of chances and only if his finishing had been better!

But you're right - there have been other signings too that have made a difference.

BTW I heard we took nearly 500 to Stenny on Saturday. Was that about right? <>

airdrie_mucker2002
++AmmO++ (IP Logged)

08 April, 2012 15:30
And an even bigger thank you to the stadium company for paying willies wages aswell winking smiley
Super result yesterday.

DBW1878
DBW1878 (IP Logged)

08 April, 2012 15:39
Cringeworthy interview by Irons....decent interview by Jimmy.

[www.stenhousemuirfc.com]

http://i30.tinypic.com/33tice0.jpg

PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2011/2012

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net