football
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

Blasts from the past (OT)
24 February, 2012 14:31
<> Polomint's reminder of WH Smith & Woolies in another thread prompted me to think of shops and services from the past in Airdrie....

MEFFANS - The famous sweetie shop in Broomknoll Street. Closed (and demolished) of course.

BATHGATE VIDEO - Just up from there on the same side going to the cross. VHS v Beta - yah!

AIRDRIE MARKET - For a while at the corner of Gartlea Road and Hogg Street, but more associated with behind Broomknoll Street. 3 pairs terry white socks for a £1.

RJ CROSS - Well known Peugeot dealer on Gartlea Road at the junction of Hogg Street.

COLSTON GARAGE - Where the BP garage is on Carlisle Road near the terminus/roundabout. Old fashioned service with car hire too.

When the banks were in real "bank looking buildings" (!) - Bank Of Scotland in Stirling Street, Clydesdale Bank in Graham Street, Royal Bank in.... Bank Street!

ELECTRICITY SHOWROOM - At the bottom cross.

MONKTRONICS - In the days when you did take your Betamax recorder to get repaired (behind the Job centre).

SHARELLES - On Graham Street - visited every Saturday morning.

PRESTO - The town's biggest supermarket at one time - in Stirling Street!

BOOTS - In Stirling Street too. Oh and laterally CURRYS in that street.

GALBRAITH - At the foot of South Bridge Street.

HEPWORTHS - Where Burton is.

WH SMITH & JOHN MENZIES - Both oppposite one another, Menzies was there first (where WH Smith is now) then the "English" invader that was Smith's arrived (where Iceland is) - only 3 stores in Scotland to begin with - Edinburgh, Dumfries & Airdrie! Ah the joys of going in on a Saturday morning (or after school) and sussing out the magazines (no lads mags in those days) and new "records" or checking out the new Parker pens in the corner...

Ooops - better get back to work (and 2012)....

Arthur Wilson
Sergeant Wilson (IP Logged)

Re: Blasts from the past (OT)
24 February, 2012 15:34
The Handy Hut.

Sneddons.

Snottery Annies chip shop.

Permans

In the schemes,

Stitsons, Buchanans, Blairs etc

SandyB
SandyB (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 16:00
Menzies was originally in Bank Street, Remember rolling down the stairs drunk....well not really, I was told.

Mills where you could get all those out of the chart hits for buttons. Old ma Mills looked like Mrs Slocome from Are you being served.

was it Ewarts toy shop that was demolished for Safeway, It moved down next to Broomknowe

Who could forget Marti's, where all the trendy's went

Baxters bus station

What was the name of the wafer factory where RJ Cross was?

All these memories are in black and white!

airdrieonians
airdrieonians (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 16:13
i used to buy seggs at the Handy Hut for my brogues and takkity boots before going to the games on a saturday.

Diamond Forever

24 February, 2012 16:25
Quote:
SandyB
Menzies was originally in Bank Street, Remember rolling down the stairs drunk....well not really, I was told.
Mills where you could get all those out of the chart hits for buttons. Old ma Mills looked like Mrs Slocome from Are you being served.

was it Ewarts toy shop that was demolished for Safeway, It moved down next to Broomknowe

Who could forget Marti's, where all the trendy's went

Baxters bus station

What was the name of the wafer factory where RJ Cross was?

All these memories are in black and white!

<> Menzies in Bank Street - jings even I can't remember that! Were they on the same side as where Semi Chem/Clydesdale Bank is now? - I remember that corner used to be waste ground for many many years before they built those shops.

Again I remember Ewarts in Broomknoll Street. There were shops of course right up that stretch of Graham Street before being demolished and replaced by Safeway.

Baxters Buses - know a guy who used to be a clippie with them.

It was ASKEY's WAFERS in Hogg Street/Gartlea Road area. The Krimpy Crisp factory was there at one time too.

Here's a few more:-

360 RECORDS - Hallcraig Street. (Sm61) (Sm151)

PICK 'N' SAVE - before Winston's Snooker Club in Clark Street.

TANGO CAFE & GRILL - an institution sadly no more!

NICKEL 'N' DIME - before the advent of £ shops, in Stirling Street.

GULF PETROL STATION - Clark Street, next to Winston's!

FINE FARE - The first real big supermarket in the town?

The bakers in Airdrie all had their strong lines - SHARELLES/DALZIEL (rolls), BON BON (cakes), CHRISTIE'S (pies)...

<>

Diamond Forever

24 February, 2012 16:28
Quote:
airdrieonians
i used to buy seggs at the Handy Hut for my brogues and takkity boots before going to the games on a saturday.

<> Aaargh! remember The Handy Hut for exactly the same thing - but taken a memory blank as to where it was exactly??!!

And Sarge with Permans - remember family talking about it, but where in the town??!! <>

jack d
jack d (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 16:36
Is the Cafe la Fiesta still there,or Lamarras Chippie.

Danskins,Boyds,Rialto bingo hall,Russo's cafe.
Crimpy Crisps factory.
My memories ain't just black and white,they are before the "talkies"

Diamond Forever

24 February, 2012 16:43
Quote:
jack d
Is the Cafe la Fiesta still there,or Lamarras Chippie.
Danskins,Boyds,Rialto bingo hall,Russo's cafe.
Crimpy Crisps factory.
My memories ain't just black and white,they are before the "talkies"

<> Cafe La Fiesta at the top of South Bridge Street? Closed down the last time I passed (no more raspberry slush coming home from the Academy on a hot day).

Remember the Rialto (though never ventured in!) - Crimpy Crisps as said was on Hogg Street/Gartlea Road?

jack if your memory stretches that far back then you'll remember the Rialto as a picture hall no? And the picture hall in Broomknoll Street (eventually demolished, for years waste ground, and where the ring road is at the roundabout)?? <>

jack d
jack d (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 16:52
The "New Cinema" think you will mean,used to go there as a nipper on Sat afternoons,got in for 9p.(Pre Decimal.). Think Rialto got used for old films,but that was when the Pavilion was still showing films too.Happy days.

Diamond Forever

24 February, 2012 16:55
<> And some more....

WATSON'S GARAGE - The well known car showroom and garage on High Street.

LAIDLAW'S - Well known Ford garage and service centre on South Biggar Road (overlooking Tollbrae Primary, where the "new" houses are now). Remember shouting to the mechanics at lunchtime!

SCOTT'S IRONMONGERS - On East High Street along from the top cross. No B&Q in those days!

WHAT EVERY WOMAN WANTS - South Bridge Street!

JOHN ORR'S - Airdrie's very own Department Store!

LEEDS BUILDING SOCIETY - right on the corner at Airdrie Cross - where the charity shop is. That queue on a Saturday morning - hated it!

GRANADA TV RENTALS - Where the bookies is at the cross. Only £4.29 a week to rent a big telly!

ESSO GARAGE - For years in Motherwell Street - never did manage to collect all the glasses with my Tiger tokens...

<>

Diamond Forever

24 February, 2012 16:59
Quote:
jack d
The "New Cinema" think you will mean,used to go there as a nipper on Sat afternoons,got in for 9p.(Pre Decimal.). Think Rialto got used for old films,but that was when the Pavilion was still showing films too.Happy days.

<> jack was there ever a cinema in Graham Street? Seem to recall it being featured in a book years ago charting the history of old cinemas in Lanarkshire. When did the "New Cinema" in Broomknoll Street close then? My guess mid 1970s? <>

Diamond Forever

24 February, 2012 18:32
<> And some more - especially for those of us who think Airdrie has ever only had 1 hotel (the Tudor)! How many of us have had a few jars (or an illicit liaison?!) in the following...

THE KENILWORTH - Corner of Motherwell Street and ?? - houses there now...

MONKLAND HOUSE HOTEL - On the road out to Chapelhall, down the hill on the right hand side... - again houses there now.

CAIRNHILL HOUSE HOTEL - Open until the mid 1970s I believe - lay derelict for many years, eventually demolished and turned into new houses.

Cheers! (Sm128) <>

andy waite
Andy Waite (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 18:59
Goldbergs (south bridge street).

Browns newsagents,Top cross. Think everyone had a paper round at one time with him. Had paper rounds all over Airdrie.

Diamond Forever

24 February, 2012 19:09
Quote:
Andy Waite
Goldbergs (south bridge street).
Browns newsagents,Top cross. Think everyone had a paper round at one time with him. Had paper rounds all over Airdrie.

<> Goldbergs! Aye remember that, and their Candleriggs store in Glasgow too.

Browns newsagent - reminds me of the newsagent opposite the Baths (still there, but different owners now) I did a paper round for - thought I was well off getting £3 a week! No big heavy Sunday newspapers & supplements in those days!

Although under different ownership now, the newsagent at the foot of South Bridge Street has been there for decades. Always got my comics there on a Saturday!

Just noticed recently that Videoland in Clark street closed down - there (and in High Street next to Browns newsagent) since the mid 1980s! <>

cairnhill diamond
cairnhill diamond (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 19:15
I'm sure it was the Odeon in Graham st it was next to the old bus station and it backed onto Broomfield.

jack d
jack d (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 19:38
The New Cinema,in Broomknoll St. must of closed early seventies,when Airdrie still had a bus station.Pavilion is only one I can remember on main st, but you were spoiled for choice then when Coatbridge had The Odeon,the ABC and the Cinema,and it had the old Theatre Royal near Jackson St. which had been a fleepit and had been closed by mid sixties.
I remember just about wearing a false beard and moustache to get in to see Connolly do part of the "Crucifixion" gig at the Tudor in early seventies.
I too had a round with Brown's (lived in Milton st. then,in old houses before the flats).

Don't know if anyone has mentioned Bairds shop directly across S. Bridge st. from Perman's.Also knew that the old Sheriff Court was knocked down,it stood directly across road from town clock,and I have a photo of the last ever tram leaving Airdrie (about late fifties),packed to overflowing going to the old tram depot which was next to Cliftonhill.I don't actually remember so far back,but I do remember the "caurs" in Glasgow,when really wee.

jack d
jack d (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 19:41
The Pavilion will be the on on the main st as Cairnhill. diamond says,it backed onto Old Broomie,and theres the link that takes us back to the Diamonds.

Paranoid Android
Paranoid Android (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 19:43
Bairds, where the post office is now, & was it Airdrie sports at the bottom of South Bridge St next to the Royal cafe? I also remember the wee Menzies which you used to go upstairs to, & Safeway.

jack d
jack d (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 20:10
had to go upstairs in Menzies to look at the LPs. Dodgy stairs,if I recall.
Anyone else remember the "Capocci man" ice cream vans?,and his "factory" in Hallcraig st.

whitedove
whitedove (IP Logged)

24 February, 2012 20:24
i was a bum bee went to alexandra school,the on to the ther was anothe place in hogg st but cant rember the name,al,a sup ,rember passing askeys the cinnamon factory the bolt work and the grate factory,.had wee job after school in the castlebank laundry with a bike with a big yellow box in front,does anyone remember the target where we played fitba,the ashes hills and the burning bing and collected porrot coal,danny mullan sold the sat sports papers,got them at the train station,that reminds me .do you remember wee harry roy and the wee song they used to sing about him ,who hurls the barra ,for wee joe la marra who is ,joe issie no wee harry roy .when i lef school got job as message with templetons but family moved away to clydebank .but thats great reading about the airdrie i knew , plnty more memories but wiil leave then for another time.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net