football
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Re: (OT) Bye Bye Karen (OT)
07 May, 2011 02:42
I've amended my post so the 1st line is now simply an observation, hows that?

As for your question if it's ok to reply to it, the UK government will probably be able to sell it's share in the Banks at a profit to the Tresuary far sooner than anyone thought BTW thanks to Labour who set up the plan while the Tories did nothing.

But don't expext it to happen till around 6 months before the Westminster elections when it'll be done with the maximum of fanfare's to energise the Tory vote.

The point is though that an Independent Scottish government would have been as able to bail out the Banks as it was able to save the Scottish economy after the Darien Fiasco ended in 1700, that failure then hastened the end of Scottish independece with the Acts of Union in 1707, what would it have cost an independent Scotland 300 years later?

The Rambler
The Rambler (IP Logged)

07 May, 2011 07:19
Quote:
Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond
Quote:
The Rambler
Sir Sidney, yes it is very much Labours fault as they presided over the whole banking scenario, regulated it, monitored it, knew exactly how the banks were conducting business but were happy to celebrate the good times despite knowing that rules which had stood banking in good stead for 300 years were being totally ignored. Then it went @#$%& up.

So the sub-prime collapse in America affected almost every country in the World as much and in many cases a lot worse than UK yet you reckon if Scotland had been independent prior to it, Alex Salmond would have prevented it?

@#$%& me you are seriously deluded, it's a well documented fact, the only dissenting political voice in the UK about the way the banks were being run was the Lib Dem Vince Cable, not Gordon Brown nor David Cameron and certainly not Alex Salmond, not once did he or anyone in his party state the Banks needed more regulation till AFTER it'd all gone t1ts up, just the same as the Tories, ALL OF THEM were happy to suck at the teat of the Banks profits including your precious SNP, that's why they said nothing and failed to back Vince Cable!

Nice rant but it doesn't change the fact that Gordon Brown presided over it, not Cameron or Salmond. Broon was ultimately in charge of the regulation of banks and the whole pack of cards came tumbling down over his watch. Many financial analysts warned of the danger but hey, the taxes were rolling in and there was plenty of money to spend, nothing to see here, move on. No boom and bust under Broon, aye right.

He knew the dangers and had the power to change the way some banks were conducting operations, Cameron and Salmond didn't so maybe it's time to stop blaming everyone else. As for pointing at the American sub prime market, nobody forced (and certainly Labour didn't regulate against) banks trading shady financial packages of which they had no idea what they contained or directly dabbling in the sub prime market itself. In fact that those avoided such idiotic greed are in very good shape such as Nationwide (yes they are a building society) and Clydesdale as well as a wee bank with its head office in Airdrie!!

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

07 May, 2011 07:37
Quote:
Sergeant Wilson
Quote:
Rusty2
But remember - this was a one off & wont happen again in our lifetimes.

Couldn't it? I reckon this is the 3rd major recession in my adult life. I'll probably manage another 2 at least.

What I was talking about Arthur was the banking collapse - as I said - you wont see this happen again! Yes there will be other recessions - but nothing like this.

07 May, 2011 08:07
Neill's smugness is second only to that of the Joe 90 lookalike who won - only temporarily- the Baillieston seat at Westminster a couple of years ago, TV coverage of which featured an erstwhile regular poster on this very site, Div Linden (who for all I know may well be posting still but under a different name). Well, Joe 90 got his come-uppance at the 2010 election and hopefully, once it has been shown that Neill CANNOT deliver all of his promises, maybe common sense will prevail and the SNP will be sent homeward - to Edinburgh and the east- to think again. I put the SNP success down to two factors, firstly Labour had a very poor leader in Ian Gray; although I despise Salmond and all he stands for, he DOES give me the impression that he is sincere in what he says whereas Gray gave the impression that everything he uttered came from an autocue. Thankfully he will stand down in September (why wait that long I say?). Secondly, because we have a Tory government I think that many voters see this as a chance to distance themselves from Westminster and that the best way of manifesting this is to vote for a party whose main (sole?) raison d'etre is independence; even though many of them do not WANT independence, they may feel that this is the best way to show their anti- Tory feelings. Just my opinion, could be wrong, have been before and will be again. Going back to "pig eyes" Neill, no doubt, just before the next election he will magically find money to carry out one or more of his,at that time, undelivered promises, as ALL politicians do, in order to ingratiate himself with the voters so as to have another four / five years with his snout in the Holyrood trough. Remember, again, to keep your potato peelings and any other vegetable waste for Neill as this provides a good nourishing meal for a porcine creature like him (he'll probably claim expenses for it anyway if you don't).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 08:22 by The real Desmond Dekker.

Arthur Wilson
Sergeant Wilson (IP Logged)

07 May, 2011 09:53
Quote:
Rusty2
Quote:
Sergeant Wilson
Quote:
Rusty2
But remember - this was a one off & wont happen again in our lifetimes.

Couldn't it? I reckon this is the 3rd major recession in my adult life. I'll probably manage another 2 at least.

What I was talking about Arthur was the banking collapse - as I said - you wont see this happen again! Yes there will be other recessions - but nothing like this.
Fair enough, but if it's not one thing it's another. It just seems to go in cycles and none of the political geniuses on here or elsewhere convince me that they actually influence anything. @#$%& just happens.

60sfan
60sfan (IP Logged)

07 May, 2011 10:35
Being only mildly interested in politics, I've found some of the comments quite enlightening. It appears to some that the appearance of a candidate somehow suggests whether or not he/she would make a good representative. But such jibes may be simply because the posters can't think of anything constructive to say.
My own take, for what it's worth, is that only the SNP had a leader who looked and sounded remotely like one. Few people in Scotland ever vote for the Tories, and the Lib Dems suffered due to the coalition. Labour displayed either stagegring arrogance or a shocking lack of foresight in not having their 'best' people on the list. As someone who wants to see Scotland grow whoever is in charge, I regret that this parliament has lost many experienced people. A balanced mixture of experience and youthful enthusiasm is what we need, but sadly the former will be lacking.

Arthur Wilson

07 May, 2011 10:47
Quote:
60sfan
A balanced mixture of experience and youthful enthusiasm is what we need, but sadly the former will be lacking.
What about a big centre forward and big commanding centre half?

60sfan
60sfan (IP Logged)

07 May, 2011 10:58
Quote:
Sergeant Wilson
Quote:
60sfan
A balanced mixture of experience and youthful enthusiasm is what we need, but sadly the former will be lacking.
What about a big centre forward and big commanding centre half?

SW, I know any Airdrie supporting SNP voters will have found the election results quite staggering. However, what you suggest really pushes the bounds of expectation to ridiculous lengths.

Galeazzo_Ciano
Ciano (IP Logged)

07 May, 2011 11:58
What a whole load o' auld sh!te in this thread.
Get ower yersels, ya self-grandiosed gadgies.

Each utterance (this ane included) is as significant as a sparra's fart in a howling' gale.

Polomint
Murraymint (IP Logged)

07 May, 2011 13:31
If you look at the stats, Labour's vote didn't desert them (the old saying about a monkey in Labour rosette getting votes may be true) in fact the Tories (spit) lost more of their share of the vote when compared to 2007. The SNP gained the Lib Dems and Tory (spit) votes probably because of the backlash to the Westminster Govt. Whitefield actually only dropped <1% of her vote.

Dobba
Dobba (IP Logged)

08 May, 2011 15:29
England's been bankrupt for 30 years kept afloat by the hundreds of Billions poured into the Westminster treasury from our oil and gas reserves in the North Sea. Enough to have transformed the lives of every man, woman and child in the country. The unionists don't like talking about that and indeed it was successive government policy to continually talk down the wealth flowing from Scottish waters.

We were always being told it wasn't very much in the great scheme of things, then recently they started telling us it was just about running out, blah, blah, blah.

Well fellow Scots, it's time to reclain our heritage. If you don't want a better future for yourself at least do it for your kids. Airdrie and Scotland till I die.

MESSAGES->author
OlderB (IP Logged)

08 May, 2011 21:44
Quote:
Dobba
England's been bankrupt for 30 years kept afloat by the hundreds of Billions poured into the Westminster treasury from our oil and gas reserves in the North Sea. Enough to have transformed the lives of every man, woman and child in the country. The unionists don't like talking about that and indeed it was successive government policy to continually talk down the wealth flowing from Scottish waters.
We were always being told it wasn't very much in the great scheme of things, then recently they started telling us it was just about running out, blah, blah, blah.

Well fellow Scots, it's time to reclain our heritage. If you don't want a better future for yourself at least do it for your kids. Airdrie and Scotland till I die.

Aye the oil will go on forever and we could all be millionaires lol FFS!!

Have you ever?
Have you ever? (IP Logged)

08 May, 2011 22:49
For the love of God please listen to Dobba.
I too have seen Scotland’s future and it’s beautiful!
Free Education. Free healthcare. We will all be in full time employment, if we choose to be. If not, stay at home in your lovely new house because the dole money will be huge!
Pick a car, any car! Free holidays at a 5* resort of your choice!
The blind shall see again. The bald shall comb again!
It will even stop raining ffs!!
Get on the Independence Train, the tickets are free!!!

09 May, 2011 09:56
"Reclaim our heritage"? Well, what is "our heritage precisely? Gaelic? (not all parts of Scotland spoke Gaelic); The Jacobites maybe? (they had little or no support in the lowlands). Well then, please enlighten us re "heritage"

Diamond Forever
Diamond Forever (IP Logged)

09 May, 2011 10:03
<> Labour seemed to lose it on the following -

An ineffectual leader upstaged by a stronger leader and team.

A swing in the vote away from Lib Dem.

A poor campaign - suddenly jumping on the "council tax freeze" bandwagon before the election, then claiming a vote for snp was a vote for independence. The electorate didn't fall for such scaremongering.

Or maybe they failed to explain to us why the Scottish Parliament building went £millions over budget, or the Edinburgh trams project that has eaten money (could have paid for the dualling of the A9 according to Ecky), or the cost of the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary PFI project - oh the irony...

They should have ripped in to the snp and their weaknesses
over the last few years. Instead their red rose withered and wilted in front of their eyes. <>

ACC
ACC (IP Logged)

09 May, 2011 11:10
"Reclaim our heritage"? Well, what is "our heritage precisely? Gaelic? (not all parts of Scotland spoke Gaelic); The Jacobites maybe? (they had little or no support in the lowlands). Well then, please enlighten us re "heritage"

Just what I was thinking! For the last three hundred years our heritage has been one of a marriage between Scotland, England, Wales and (Northern) Ireland. A very succesful marriage. I wonder if any of these nationalists one the lottery they would say to the wife "@#$%& you, it's my money I don't need you any more I'm off" The Union has been very good to Scotland (as it has for England).

Please, please tell us what our heritage is.

09 May, 2011 11:13
Quote:
Diamond Forever
<> Labour seemed to lose it on the following -
An ineffectual leader upstaged by a stronger leader and team.

A swing in the vote away from Lib Dem.

A poor campaign

Spot on, Gray came across as indecisive and a one man band, SNP managed to keep their own pariahs like Kenny MacAskill and Fiona Hyslop well away from the cameras.

The Lib Dem crash was crucial, Labours vote only dropped by 0.5% Scotland wide which is nothing, the 8.2% and 2.7% drop for the Lib Dems and Torys seemed to go direct to the SNP, prime example was Gray's own seat, he increased his vote by 4.5% yet he only held his seat by 151 votes. Another factor was Labour voters simply didn't vote (apathy or protest?).

The campaign was a disaster, policy being made up on the spot, manifesto relaunches and in the early stages complacancy, one big factor also was Brian Souter's £1M donation to the SNP campaign, there's hardly a billboard in Scotland that doesn't bear Alex Salmonds smug baw face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2011 11:15 by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond.

jester
jester (IP Logged)

09 May, 2011 11:15
Quote:
The real Desmond Dekker
Oddly enough, this part of Scotland at one point did.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/Grendel1970/Political/scotland_flag.jpg

09 May, 2011 11:24
Quote:
jester

As the main language? Where did you get that from Cass?

Arthur Wilson

09 May, 2011 11:32
Quote:
Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond
Quote:
jester

As the main language? Where did you get that from Cass?
Maybe he means the week The Mod was here and the pubs were full of irritating singing tcheuchters.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net