Latest news:
New Page 1

Portugal v switzerland
Discussion started by Andy Fincher , 05 June, 2019 22:22
Portugal v switzerland
Andy Fincher 05 June, 2019 22:22
Great pass from Neves contributing to second goal.
I don't know about that penalty, I don't think it was. I thought VAR was supposed to clear up controversy but no-one can agree whether it was a penalty or not.

Re: Portugal v switzerland
an angry wolf 06 June, 2019 12:54
If this is the league of nations or whatever it's called, its a mickey mouse tournament with very little credibility. I havent a clue who is playing in it or remotely interested personally. Ideally I'd scrap all international tournaments bar the world cup- football has reached saturation point and its become boring 24/7.

Ivybridge Wolf 06 June, 2019 19:33
(Sm6) @ Angry. All I can say is ‘C’mon England’! Looking forward to watching this match, Holland have, very quickly, become a very decent side again. Personally whilst not the Euros or WC, I thoroughly enjoyed our qualification matches v Spain and Croatia, 100% better than playing a Euro qualifier v San Marino etc.

As for last night, good to see the Wolves involvement but Sad to see my favourite player (not) score a hat trick. The VAR penalty decision was ridiculous in operation but I felt they got it right .... agreed though, it was marginal.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2019 19:52 by Ivybridge Wolf.

Ivybridge Wolf 06 June, 2019 19:54
Footnote - as ever, Wolves flags represented behind the goal - this time Oswestry Wolves thumbs down

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

an angry wolf 06 June, 2019 22:16
lol @ England being outplayed by a country less than a third of the size and population figures to match. England are what they are, a bunch of overpaid talentless flops where the population celebrates reaching the semi final - case closed

Ivybridge Wolf 06 June, 2019 23:14
My case is open Angry!
Tonight was disappointing, two horrific errors and a highly questionable VAR review IMO, however, no question, we were second best playing, lets face it, an unusual first England 11.
Holland, despite their population, have been producing players of high quality for years .... it’s nothing new. Were it was just about population then we’d be okay, but it’s more than that and Holland have largely been terrific since the early 1970s - what a record they have, promoting skill, composure, attacking force. We could definitely learn a thing or two ... but the English league set dow help. Tonight we played Stones and Delph. When did they last play a full 90 in anger? Add Barkley to that, to a lesser degree.
Anyway, England were in this semi after beating Croatia and Spain for the right. Something is clearly going right for us, Southgate has been extremely good, it’s now making that leap from two times semi failures to get to the top table. A few years ago, 2010 under Capello for example, we crashed out before breakfast was finished!
Would love to see our Conor involved. He deserves it.

an angry wolf 07 June, 2019 00:42
How Holland did in the early 70s is completely irrelevant determining the quality of ateam or lack of it... the royal engineers were a quality outfit in the 1800s but it has no bearing on the present day. The reality is this current dutch squad couldn't even qualify for the last world cup finishing below Sweden so hardly a barometer for a "decent side".

Incidentally since when is reaching a semi final indicative of success? The whole point of entering a tournament is to win it not go out to Croatia in the world cup for eg - a team ranked 20th in the world with a population of 4 million. You mention population doesnt matter- how can it not matter when clearly a larger population means a bigger wealth of talent to choose from? Unless the country is genetically inferior like china where the average man is a dwarf compared to the west or a country like the states where baseball/ basketball etc dominate then population is very significant. Many were fawning over the world cup performance like salivating lapdogs drooling over southgates mob yet we played 7 games, winning only 3 of them. The three were against panama , tunisa and Sweden with the first 2 equivalent to a league one side. We lost twice to Belgium , once to Croatia and drew with Colombia beating them on a pen shootout lottery. If that represents success then we may as well give them performance related bonuses for tying their shoe laces up and pat them on the head for turning up.

The reality is England are a bang average side but as usual the main stream media have to lurch from one hysterical hype job of heroes in the world cup to national disgraces the next time we get mauled - probably tomorrows headlines to sensationalise mediocrity one way or another

Billericay Wolf 07 June, 2019 18:33
Well it is a pleasant surprise when an England team play well and win against any team these days,no matter who the opposition is. But I have to agree with Angry that the "Media" seem always to be hell bent on praising mediocrity, (and not just on football). Why is everything considered "Amazing" and "Fantastic" when it is obviously not?

Ivybridge Wolf 07 June, 2019 19:04
Personally, I go on recent results when looking at what I consider 'a decent side'. In that respect, my case is definitely closed!!winking smiley

The reference to the 70s is that by and large, Holland's footballing culture towards training, skill, passing ability has been excellent and, I would imagine, deep in developing their national pride. It appears that it continues to be nutured by successive training regimes and must go some way to explaining their relative success per capita. Why else do Holland consider their big grudge match as Germany, without doubt one of the top 3 international countries of all time. This rivalry far outstrips Belgium or Denmark v Germany, other bordering neighbours. In summary, population, of course is important, incredibly important, however the Dutch prove it's not all about that. This Holland side does needs to prove themselves, without doubt, but they've come a long way from the debarcles versus Iceland, and as you mention Sweden. They've got some great lads ... and some average .

I completely agree about semi's - nobody remembers them (except the supporters - like us Wolves fans 2019, 1998, 1981, 1979 ad infinitum etc etc) and I am very disappointed we didn't get to play Ronaldo, Neves, Rui and friends, and it has been said before about our path prior to the semi's in 2018. Nevertheless, it was a thrill of a World Cup for fans and the passion we want to see in any football was back ... added to that the way we won the mini league to get to last nights semi was an exciting and sometimes impressive watch, although we should have wiped the floor with Croatia, in Croatia.

I'm up for international football, fairly common knowledge, I think, and there have been far too many pointless qualifiers over the last 10-20 years as UEFA membership has proliferated. This new competition is one way of addressing that. I think we (England) did our bit to get the first tournament off to a good start and whilst things can change, I believe it's a good addition to the calender!

Where we agree 100%, is the media. As a fan, when we do well, I love it, Wolves or England. I've never needed a two, four or six page spread of bullhonk (hyping or sniping) to get the blood pumping!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 19:06 by Ivybridge Wolf.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net