Latest news:
New Page 1

Brexit
Discussion started by an angry wolf , 13 March, 2019 18:30
Brexit
an angry wolf 13 March, 2019 18:30
The current shambles just illustrates how incompetent the so called leaders are running this country and why I have very little interest in either the law or politics with screaming idiots in parliament spending half the day jabbering on about " right honourable gentlemen". The sooner we leave the EU the better ideally on WTO terms with no deal thumbs down

Re: Brexit
Lupinehowler 14 March, 2019 07:10
There should be a second referendum to allow the public a vote on the severance deal. The first referendum was undertaken with no clear or honest information given prior to the vote. Fascinating to watch all the public school boys shifting position, lying and trying to better their own position rather than working for the country. An absolute mess which must be making us the laughing stock of Europe and the world.

an angry wolf 14 March, 2019 09:31
Quote:
Lupinehowler
There should be a second referendum to allow the public a vote on the severance deal. The first referendum was undertaken with no clear or honest information given prior to the vote. Fascinating to watch all the public school boys shifting position, lying and trying to better their own position rather than working for the country. An absolute mess which must be making us the laughing stock of Europe and the world.

Nonsense Lupine, do you really think the average man on the street has read through over 500 pages of Mays deal to give an informed opinion on it? The public voted to leave, what have we learned other than the EU being more corrupt than we first envisaged and giving virtually no concessions? Are we simply going to have referendums until the remoaners get what they want and cancelling Brexit.. if the next one results in a narrow victory for revoking article 50 then it's best of 3 votes I assume. If another referendum is given it destroys public confidence- what there is - in the whole democratic process and will undermine British politics for generations.

What's the point in any referendum if we are going to ignore the result simply because it upsets people. Many of the public school boys you refer to want to remain in the EU and this treacherous new referendum approach is a way of doing that slithering out of what the country voted for. What information have we gleaned from 2016 lupine that would change how we vote- summarise... we all know the doomsday forecasts from economists which have been wrong numerous times over recent political matters yet these were forecast before the first vote so what's changed?

an angry wolf 14 March, 2019 11:09
TBH Lupine I dont think we should have had a referendum in the first place. The average man/woman in the street hasnt read 500 pages of Mays deal and even in the original referendum was based on guesswork. Joe public is more concerned and rightly so with crime, personal finances, jobs, family even hobbies like following wolves etc than scrolling through page after page of doctrine from Brussels. People say let the people decide in a 2nd referendum but who on here knows anything about Mays deal other than backstop clauses etc. Even people who spend their entire working lives focusing on EU clauses /laws cant agree on what will happen so expecting the butcher/baker / candlestickmaker to decide is absurd.

I would do one of two things- cancel Brexit and admit calling the referendum was a mistake. The reality is the average man/woman in the street isnt educated enough in EU law or uk law to make an informed choice. On a jury for eg , the jury in court spend days scrutinising evidence with help from the judge directing what amounts to case law etc. To expect the average guy down the pub to vote deal or no deal based on knowing next to nothing about it is ridiculous. Most people ( not all) voted Brexit due to immigration issues without knowing much else. Most people voted remain to equally basic things.. I doubt the majority of the population could put Brussels on a map let alone say what does or doesn't go on there.

The second option is simply to leave the EU with no deal instead of these endless grovelling sessions to the EU with domestic policies ignored showing May on sky news getting out of a car for more " negotiations". The continual uncertainty is making us a complete laughing stock with a second referendum just adding to the confusion exacerbating the problem.

Lupinehowler 14 March, 2019 11:28
Makes you wonder how Cameron and Farage will be represented by history.

an angry wolf 14 March, 2019 11:37
Cameron has a lot to answer for.. I like Farage as he goes against the establishment and talks a lot of sense although many disagree lol

chicagowolf 14 March, 2019 12:02
Laughing stock? Not really. It is generally thought of as getting control back after the EU ‘being in charge’ for all this time. To the extent this is talked about at all, which is not much, it is kind of a head-scratcher.
I try to follow events but the idea of a second referendum, now THAT is laughable, for all the reasons Angry outlines. Of the people I know that voted the only ones who would change their vote are the ones who voted to stay in , who now have seen a prolonged display of EU intransigence and Parliament ‘s inability to get anything done.

Cheshire wolf 14 March, 2019 13:41
Quote:
an angry wolf
I like Farage as he goes against the establishment and talks a lot of sense although many disagree lol

There's a shock!!!

I agree with much of what you say Angry. Being old enough to have voted in the early 70's to join the Common Market, my opinion is that that is what we voted to join - a Common Market for equal ability to buy and sell goods across borders, We did not vote to have endless dictats coming from Brussels in how we should manage our borders, employment and various other aspects of our lives. I therefore voted to leave. I now accept that we were led up the garden path a bit with the claims of millions of pounds being available for our NHS etc, but I still wouldn't change my vote, nor do I expect to or believe we should be given the chance to do so. I cannot imagine the uproar that would arise if a repeat exercise were carried out with a Remain result. I would fully expect people to take to the streets in revolt!!

As for the politicians... well!! Theresa May has made a terrible mess of things and will go down in history as one of the worst Prime Ministers we have ever had, no only for her handling of this carry on, but also the level of knife crime we are seeing, the Windrush scandal etc etc. I believe this situation called for a cross party approach in the first place to take party politics out of the situation, and present Europe with a united front. As it is I'm sure the EU are laughing at the nonsense scenario going on in our Parliament. The important thing for them after all is to make leaving Europe as difficult as they can to discourage other countries from following suit as quickly as possible.

A few weeks ago I decided I needed a break, and I fly to Spain on 29th March for a few days - a great day to leave the EU!!

Lupinehowler 14 March, 2019 16:45
I can give Farage very little credit. Apart from becoming a YouTube politician and darling of Trump and Fox News he has demonstrably the lowest voting record within the group of MEPs
and yet is still quite happy to take his £85,000 pa salary, before adding expenses which could be a further £80,000, and he will of course still be eligible for his £75000 EU pension. Just another passenger on the EU gravy train he suggested he loathed whilst posing with a pint and a fag trying to be a red, white and blue working British bloke.

an angry wolf 14 March, 2019 22:39
[quote Cheshire wolf][quote an angry wolf]

A few weeks ago I decided I needed a break, and I fly to Spain on 29th March for a few days - a great day to leave the EU!![/quote]

I decided the same a couple of weeks ago, I fly to athens from Luton on Monday and return on the 28th off all days.. I had the option of coming back on the 29th but wondered what the hell would happen with the potential EU lanes being closed etc. I'm looking forward to getting away from this madness on every news/radio channel and short of being murdered outside the acropolis I'll be glad to get away. I dont watch much tv on holiday but wonder if this circus will be on tvs there

an angry wolf 14 March, 2019 22:49
Quote:
Lupinehowler
I can give Farage very little credit. Apart from becoming a YouTube politician and darling of Trump and Fox News he has demonstrably the lowest voting record within the group of MEPs
and yet is still quite happy to take his £85,000 pa salary, before adding expenses which could be a further £80,000, and he will of course still be eligible for his £75000 EU pension. Just another passenger on the EU gravy train he suggested he loathed whilst posing with a pint and a fag trying to be a red, white and blue working British bloke.

Give me a Nigel Farage challenging the establishment putting his neck on the block than a mindless EU drone following their legislation like a droid continuing on the failing establishment that is the EU. Without people like Farage , we would be tied to Brussels indefinitely accepting unelected stuffed shirts trying to govern our way of life.

chicagowolf 15 March, 2019 04:11
[quote an angry wolf][quote Cheshire wolf][quote an angry wolf]

A few weeks ago I decided I needed a break, and I fly to Spain on 29th March for a few days - a great day to leave the EU!![/quote]

I decided the same a couple of weeks ago, I fly to athens from Luton on Monday and return on the 28th off all days.. I had the option of coming back on the 29th but wondered what the hell would happen with the potential EU lanes being closed etc. I'm looking forward to getting away from this madness on every news/radio channel and short of being murdered outside the acropolis I'll be glad to get away. I dont watch much tv on holiday but wonder if this circus will be on tvs there[/quote]

Well, very little on tv today about Brexit. Unsurprising, the baseball season is about to start!
But you guys are starting to worry me. For years now, with both uk and us passports I have been able to come and go at airports, always choosing the short line. Is this happy state of affairs crashing to a halt?

an angry wolf 15 March, 2019 11:06
The airport lanes are the only negative of leaving the EU, but if you have a British passport, I can't see it being an issue other than adding a bit of time to arrivals.

Arthur Tannen 18 March, 2019 10:36
I can't see it but I hope we leave without a deal, that is actually what we voted for. I don't remember at all during the referendum campaign people suggesting we'll leave but then do a deal with the EU to remain in everything, the rewriting of history has been shameful.

Cheshire wolf 18 March, 2019 11:12
Wow Arthur I really didn't know you were still hovering in the wings so it's good to see you dropping in on the board.

I agree with you - I don't think the premise of having to agree a deal with the EU was mooted at all during the referendum, and it was much more clearly a decision of whether or not we wanted to stay within that organisation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net