football
Latest News:
New Page 1

Molineux - What on Earth is going on?
oldngold (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 12:35
Apparently Fosun are considering whether to build a new stadium instead of expanding Molineux. Shi has been talking about the limitation of expanding Molineux only as far as 50,000.

Our largest average gate was the 1948/49 season at just under 47,000 per game, when we finished second to Portsmouth in the League and won the FA Cup. That was a time when apart from working in the factory there was nowt else to do on Saturday when the gaffers shut the workshops for the afternoon so we could go and watch the Wolves.

Expanding the South Bank and joining that to a new Steve Bull and linking the North Bank would easily push the capacity to over 45,000 which is more than Chelsea who are stuck in Stamford Bridge for the foreseable future. The could redevelop the Billy wright which should push the capacity past 50,000 which would match Newcastle and Liverpool and Man City, although the latter two are going to be increasing to over 60,000 over the next few years.

If we still have a season ticket waiting list then maybe then you might consider a new stadium. 50,000 is an enormous crowd, and getting that every match down the Wolves would be unprecedented and would be greater than even the great days of the 50s.

This is worrying because Fosun may start to believe that Wolves cannot match their ambition. Are they thinking they can build a 60K+ seater stadium nearby and fill it every game?

Perhaps they can fly in the Chinese to Heathrow and stick them on the HS2 when its built and ferry them into a new stadium.

There is tremendous scope to expand molineux easily up to 50,000 how is that not enough? Although it does show that Fosun are not messing around they clearly want Wolves to be a top 6 club and challenging in Europe.

Re: Molineux - What on Earth is going on?
Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 12:25
The average attendance in the Prem was 38,000 last year with only the top 6 exceeding that figure.
Fosun must be aiming very high if they imagine that we would regularly exceed 50,000 particularly if the ground was to be repositioned in an out of town situation.
With modern building tech the current ground could hold 50,000 quite easily, remain part of the town, and hold onto its name and history.
Would hate to have to watch a match at a new “ Fosun Stadium.”

Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 13:28
Fosun is aiming very high indeed,of that I have no doubt.
Currently only FFP rules that is holding us back according to comments from Jeff.
The ground issue will be an ongoing question it seems..and if looking further ahead with Fosuns ibvious ambitions in mind..it seems a new ground will see the light of day in a couple of years time at the latest.
I admit,I am one of the dinosaurs that will severly miss Molineux.

However,if the ground stands in our way of greater success,then even an old fossil like myself understands the need for a new ground.

We are certainly not there yet,but listening to the Fosun sounds it seems we are going in the direction of a new stadium.We simply must increase our revenues and turnover if the ambitions pitchwise is going to have a chance to be met.

I will not stand in the way for that...but I will really miss Molineux.

oldngold (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 16:02
I think there is enough space on the current site to quickly increase the capacity to well over 40,000 as needed. Chelsea don't seem to have done too bad with a 45,000 capacity. And can be done whilst still playing at Molineux.

However, Fosun are touting a 60,000 seat stadium. And whilst we can argue about whether we would fill it, where it would be located and so on. This was done in a somewhat casual throwaway line from JS. But I don't think there is anything casual about Fosun, and JS clearly would only be representing what is being discussed.

A 60,000 seat stadium would be a massive and major investment. We would be talking at least 400 Million plus whatever else is being thrown in: shopping, housing, business and leisure facilities. This is not just extending the Steve Bull stand. That is a major piece of urban regeneration which the area, to my knowledge, has never had before.

Whatever happens, the council need to be talking to Fosun seriously about the best options for investment on that scale in the city. This is actually bigger than just having Wolves play in front of bigger crowds. Fosun's decision making has so far been excellent. It now needs others, the council, development agencies for the region, to also be thinking straight and getting things right.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the city and the region and is all driven from the fact that the Chinese think Wolves have the potential as a global footballing brand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net