football
Latest News:
New Page 1

Very slight but early concerns
oldngold (IP Logged)
28 July, 2018 16:44
Outside of the existing loan players who have been made permanent and the signing of Patricio albeit under circumstances that may come back to haunt us, I remain unconvinced so far at the recruitment of additional new players.

Perhaps Moutinho alongside Neves can dominate possession, but then again perhaps not.

Jimenez does not excite me at all. Perhaps he can hold up and link play better than Bonatini. But again I am not excited by his pace or scoring potential.

The other loan player Jonny Castro doesn't look like he is going to offer more than Douglas whose sale makes no sense whatsoever.

We are in for Marcus Rojo from Manure who is a very good CM, but is left sided. So are we planning to use him as cover or instead of Boly? Not sure this is the right target.

Clearly Pepe and Yerry Mina are unlikely to come to Wolves at this time. And the failure to sign Zinchenko and the injury to Traore and Bryan is starting to make this look like a poor window unless things improve next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/07/2018 16:46 by oldngold.

Re: Very slight but early concerns
BULL SHAT MOXI (IP Logged)
28 July, 2018 17:39
Big Big Worry Cav was not even in the squad today ar Derby do hope they are not going to sell him to Fulham and try to bring Traore it would be near strait swoop with what Fulham are offering but I know who is better he was one of our best forwards last year, Many did not want Douglas to go, But to loose Cav will be a Big Big Mistake

essington wolf (IP Logged)
28 July, 2018 19:39
Got to trust nuno I think we will be ok.rumours going around nuno had a bust up with Douglas don't know how True that is.shame as barry deserved a crack in the prem in my opinion.wont be happy if cav is sold though,traore is quick for sure but a lot of the time I watched him on tv there was no end product .he was awful against villa in the playoffs. Not for me there's better options around,don't think he's worth £18 million.

Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
29 July, 2018 09:52
Time will tell if this squad is going to be strong enough for the full seasons demands.
Several of our youngsters have been given chances in pre season so I wonder if they will be called upon regularly to supplement the squad only time will tell if they have the necessary skill and application.
My main concern would be that we continue to play the same system as teams will come to expect it and take measures to stop or negate our usual game. We will come up against teams who are far more astute tactically than we met last season.
As for the new signings, fingers crossed they gel with the established players and bring something of benefit.

Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
03 August, 2018 12:06
I agree,Oldngold.

The one thing that stands out for me is the Douglas transfer..it was like a thunder of lighting on a blue sky day.

I tend to think something must have happened behind the scenes for this scenario,if not it seems nonlogical.
I would certainly have preferred to see what Douglas could do in the Prem.His left foot seemed worldclass in the Championship,but I agree it has to be weighed against his lesser defensive abilities.

Time will tell,and in Nuno I certainly trust...but the whole thing looks quite mysterious from my outside perspective.

I am a little bit on the fence Moutinho like.He is a very good footballer,the world and his mother knews this from many years back..but I wonder how will it work with Neves.
IF Moutinho makes Neves a lesser player,for any reason at all,then I am against.
Neves must be given the freedom to continue to bloom.I see this as a priority.If he is going to play in the shadow of Moutinho so to speak,then it ain´t worth it.

At the end of day,looking at our squad,we are definetly good enough to stay up with some distance.One thing atta time.

UP THE WOLVES!

Obrigado.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 04:58
Yes Oldn, the Afobe move seemed kind of rational (already covered, turn a quick profit). It was nice to see him bleating the other day; good luck at Stoke.
But Douglas? That one seems terrifying, unless of course if we are confident of assembling a real top class team . Exciting times.

05 August, 2018 12:34
Hmm...leaving Molineux is a concern of mine.
I agree,I am not local so looks upon this from my outside perspective,but leaving Molineux I will always be against.Perhaps I am too conservative,but the value in playing our football where it´s been played since 1889 will just rise in the future as other clubs build new grounds without the history.
Locationwise it´s the same.I love Molineux centre city location and I wouldn´t want to trade that away.

I sure hope that Fosun doesn´t take this issue lightly.Molineux is part of Wolves identity in a way new owners cannot fully understand.
By all means..expand Molineux as much as possible if need be...but stay put.
One cannot trade 130 years of history away and expect to come out on top.

oldngold (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 09:42
Let's see how we go at Leicester on Saturday. I think this is going to be a key game. The defence is looking fragile and it is essential they rebuild from the back. Coady and Boly have not stepped up yet. They really need to get going this week.

This is a punishing league. We easily could have been beaten by Everton and but for the sending off I think we would have been turned over.

A loss at Leicester, Man City and away to West Ham and suddenly we are 1 draw and 4 losses. Even though we may have played as well as we can.

Make no mistake survival is everything this season as it is every season.

Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 18:45
I know what you're saying O&G but I thought Coady played pretty confidently on saturday and wasn't really responsible for either of the goals. I thought Boly was uncharacteristically wobbly on a few occasions, but also made some important tackles. I don't think there's any doubting that Everton are a well experienced and good team who may well have taken the points with eleven men, so a point will hopefully boost our team's confidence. It will also be very interesting to see who comes in for Saturday's game. I was disappointed with Costa on Sat and also felt Jota struggled to find effective positioning, so maybe Traore will get a game.

oldngold (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 16:24
With Costa and Jota strugglingm Cavaleiro now out until at least October, we are suddenly looking pretty toothless up front.

Traore is coming back from injury and really needs to start by coming off the bench preferably into a team that is going well. He has to get himself up to speed with the PL and could be devastating as an impact player for the last 30 minutes of a game. Otherwise it is a tall order to throw him in and expect great things immediately.

Bennett was the pick of the defenders but will probably lose his place to Dendoncker.

My other concern is the statement from Nuno he will "NOT COMPROMISE" his principles to compete in the PL. I absolutely want Wolves to play attacking football off a 343, but I always get worried when I hear managers stating they will not compromise and so on.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 07:20
Perhaps it is good news that some of our ‘stars’ had a poor game, and that we are playing Leicester next. Look on the bright side. If we beat Leicester and play well against Man C we should be in decent shape.

17 August, 2018 15:53
I hope foxes away will suit us.We are still in Prem surroundings a pretty deadly team when allowed to play the countergame..and remember that Leicester did lose at Old Trafford meaning they will be looking for a threepointer here at home at Filbert Street..or whatever it is called nowadays(I know it is not the old Filbert Street arena..but their new one is pretty close)

I agree,we should definetly be looking to get something out of this fixture.

Actually,I think we will nick it...2-1 to the good guys.

It is the supporter in me writing this BTW!

oldngold (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 16:34
Still only slight but early concerns. But we clearly are struggling to finish and sides that struggle to score get relegated.

Early concerns remain on Jota and especially Costa both of whom are looking quick and skillful as ever, but lightweight and prone to error and giving away the ball easily. Unlike the Championship you don't get the ball back as easily at this level.

I would persist with the back 3 and wing backs until the international break. Although if Doherty is injured I would move Castro to the right and bring in Vinagre. Unfortunately I think Nuno might bring in Dendoncker for Bennett, and that would be a shame as Bennett is our best defender just now. I would bring in Dendoncker for Coady, but I don't think Nuno will do that unfortunately.

The plus side I think is Jimenez, who looks well suited to the Premier League, and Traore looks a monster off the bench. Bring him on for the last 30 and I am sure we'll score.

We are sh0rt an out and out goal scorer. Letting Afobe go looks odder given there was no marquee signing in that position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2018 16:36 by oldngold.

Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 20:14
It is early days and I imagine that the players are learning quickly the different challenges presented by the Prem. With so many new additions to the squad it will take some time for them all to get on the same wavelength. Morale will be a contributing factor so as long as we don’t go into free fall I think that we can soon adjust and give some creditable performances.

cedric harper (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 17:57
Douglas and for me Afobe departures make no sense. None sure what super sub Leo! is going to do in the Prem if he can't score in the championship.

21 September, 2018 17:30
Slight concerns I did use to have.
I am a longterm Wolves fan after all,how could it be otherwise?
Nowadays...five games in I have none.

You remember us going up to Old Trafford last time under Mick to play a B side..lose 3-0(I think)..and no one really gave a damn?

Tomorrow,ladies and gentlemen..tomorrow we embark on Old Trafford with a serious intent to win the damn game!

In this lies all the difference in the world.

I cannot wait for kickoff..I wasn´t at Chorley but I looked for the result in my national swedish newspaper..I´ve seen both Richards and Berry and King Kenny..not to mention Zico Palmer..not in the flesh but at least live on our take of match of the day in Sweden.

Since 1978 and yours snowball war at south bank agaist toffes supporters,this is our time to shine.Hibbitt scored that day and he made us fans of Wolves.Kenny is a legend in Sweden.

Win,lose or draw tomorrow.We are going places and God knows we have earned it..allthough it has been a pleasure most of the time anyways.

Wanderers til I die..I cannot wait for tomorrow...win,lose or draw.

COME ON ME BABBIES!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2018 17:36 by Julius Cesar Wolf.

Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 18:05
Quote:
Julius Cesar Wolf

You remember us going up to Old Trafford last time under Mick to play a B side..lose 3-0(I think)..and no one really gave a damn?

I gave a damn JCW!! I was there and was f**king furious with the team selection. It still rankles with me, as did the comtemporary view from some to support us resting our players from the previous saturday Spurs win for the Burnley match the following saturday. Manchester United were there for the taking that night. Still an open sore for me - spent hundreds getting there. I went to all 3 matches that week.

Tomorrow however, it is with a degree of evidenced hope that we will do well and perform on much more of a footballing level playing field. It's a brilliant feeling pre-match and I look forward to tomorrow with great excitment, despite my inner Wolves 'doom merchant' inner self making me feel extremely nervous!

This is what it's all about

UTW!

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

21 September, 2018 18:24
Nice to hear Ivy.

You know..that inner Wolves doom merchant inner self I do well recognize.I kinda surpressed it for the moment,but the sad truth it only takes a couple of back to back losses and I´m in well known territory again.

Still,wouldn´t like to be without it.

Like someone who was much brighter than me said.(very free translation from swedish)

It is not the goal of the journey that makes it worthwhile..it is the journey itself that makes it all worth while.

oldngold (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 00:20
As I started this thread I thought I would close it with no more concerns as we're clearly going to be staying up.

Still concerned about the goal scoring situation but the discipline, organisation and determination is impressive. If they can start finding the net more frequently Wolves could challenge for Europe.

If Fosun can keep this squad together and Nuno's team, then 2-3 more marquee signings could see Wolves actually challenge for a Champions League place.

I expect them to beat Watford and get something from the Brighton game. And for the first time for 40 years I think they can go into the games against Spurs and Arsenal and actually expect to get a result.

Never thought I would see that again.

Where Fosun might take the club could very possibly be far ahead of even our greatest days.

I will be signing off for the final time on this thread and this message board.

Very best wishes.

And yes it is great to finally really be back....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net