New Page 1

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: England-World Cup.
Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 13:20
Quote:
Julius Cesar Wolf
Ivy..the general feeling in Sweden before the game Saturday is one of cautious optimism.
I think any team that has reached this far into the tourney will feel practically the same.
The opposition is hard,and one lesser good day at the office will probably mean goodbye..on the other hand why should that happen now?

Personally,and I stated it in another thread in the sport pages section here...this is the best England I´ve seen since 1990.I have no reason to detract anything from that pre tourney estimation now.We have all the respect in the world for the England setup of today and we anticipate nothing less than a very hard match against a very worthy opponent.
We all like Harry Kane,the man with no tatoes and the most deadly England finisher since Garry Lineker.We are a nation brought up with english football and we know you inside and out.That is perhaps one of the explanations regarding our decent overall results when playing you.In the past you have had an understandable tendency to underestimate us.
Sweden hopes you have that feeling going into saturday as well,allthough I do expect Southgates knows this also.

I don´t think we get the credit we deserve.We are not the most breathtaking team to watch as a neutral..then again so wasn´t Italy in 2006 or even in 1982.

That´s were it lands for me.At this level of the sport football it is about results for me and I think each and everyone in Sweden couldn´t care less if the rest of the world thinks we don´t play like Napoli 1987.

I think we have the best defence in the world and we aim to take one or two of the counter chances this brings.Marcus Berg just has to score soon now.
Look upon us as the Italy of Russia wc 2018.I think that will bring the right perspective for you english when thinking about Saturday...I might be wrong of course but this is my feeling going into our match.

Sorry Millwall.

We are Sweden,Super Sweden.
We are Sweden from the north.
No one likes us
No one likes us
No one likes us
We don´t care.

May the rightful winner win on Saturday.

If we go out I will support England.

Nice post JCW.

Mutual respect. Only a fool would underestimate Sweden, especially in this world cup of extraordinary results. Luckily whatever some England fans might think, Southgate will approach this match respecting Sweden just the right amount - to dampen any swollen heads but with an attitude to get out there and play - hopefully to take the game to Sweden.

I still think if we create like Switzerland, then surely we'll be okay, however I have a concern that all the good Sweden chances cannot continue without at least one going in the back of the net! Like you, regardless of the style of play, I'd much rather it be a tense / tight affair with nothing much going on AND England win rather than us bing the best team in an exciting match and lose - we've been there before on our Italia 90 and Euro 96 semi's v Germany.

Kane is truly marvellous - an interesting debate whether he or Shearer might be our best centre forward since Lineker?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 16:45
Congrats lads.
No regrets and no remorse on our part.
There were a better team outthere,and you definetly deserved it hands down.
As fellow Wolves,you know the taste after losing an important game.
The bitter pill goes down more easily if you lose to a better team.
Like I said..no regrets,no remorse.
I´ll hail my lads as heroes for getting this far.
You go all the way now,hear?
COME ON ENGLAND.
UP THE WOLVES.

Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 17:48
Cheers JCW. We can all cheer Wolves on together next season.

07 July, 2018 18:31
For sure,Andy.
For sure.

Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 17:55
Given the choice I would have preferred to meet the Russian team in the semis but still feel we have the momentum to beat Croatia despite them being a good technical team.

08 July, 2018 18:47
Commiserations JCW, we know what it’s like, both with Wolves and England, however for my part and in true football parlance, I’m buzzing.

Thought we played. Very well and when, as predicted, Sweden got their chances , Pickford and the defense did the business!

Not often this country gets behind a common cause and in my lifetime, it seems to revolve around sport, e.g. the Olympics but in particular and especially football. Some of the scenes on the web of England supporters exhilarated and ecstatic during and following our success is fabulous - whether small family gatherings at home or some of the big screen venues! Truly wonderful.

Now Croatia. A tough match but I’m really hoping we play the Croatia of the knockout stages rather than that of the groups stages! Hopefully they are really knackered after last night too lol! I’ve said it before, this England side will take nothing for granted with Southgate at the helm - once again what an opportunity we have to keep the momentum and story going!

UTW / ICH!

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

an angry wolf (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 23:31
Sweden were and are garbage, lets not polish a turd. The 4 forwards named in their world cup squad being the following

Marcus Berg (Al Ain), John Guidetti (Alaves), Ola Toivonen (Toulouse), Isaac Kiese Thelin (Waasland-Beveren)

Those players would struggle to get into a wolves starting 11 let alone a top 6 prem side, with swedens midfielders/defenders playing for the likes of hull and leeds. I'd back wolves to beat Sweden comfortably.

Croatia are tougher opponents but suspect we may squeeze past them into the final.. although I'm not patriotic I hope we win the damn thing now but cant see past Belgium/ france in the final.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 23:39 by an angry wolf.

09 July, 2018 15:31
Hey,no one has said that we have the biggest names in our squad.
Before the tourney,I hoped that we would be what Northern Ireland was in 82..and I think we fullfilled that ambition.
We do suffer forwardwise ATM.We can just sit and wait for the next Henrik Larsson or a Zlatan Ibrahimovich with a sense of feeling for the team.
We will never be a team with eleven stars starting though.

Anyways..nuff regarding Sweden.
I think England has a great chance to beat Croatia.They have played two long and grueling matches in a row,and at this point of the tourney that should be a factor.
Regardless,I think Croatia is on a downward spiral formwise.They impressed me more than any other team first two group matches..but they struggled both against Denmark and Russia..two teams on par with say Sweden.

I think England has enough to contain their high class midfield,and if that is indeed the case there should be only one winner at the end of this semifinal.

France against Belgium is for me practically impossible to call.There are small margins.
Put a gun to my head and I would say Belgium will win if playing the intelligent game.

Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 17:04
I want England to win, not just the semi-final but the World Cup and come the match on Wednesday when I've had a couple of bevvies and the adrenalin is pumping, no-one will convince me that they won't win.
Sitting here now though, sober and I can look at it rationally, I reckon they will be beaten in the final be it Belgium or France.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 17:40
No More Tears Or Hurt. Well, hopefully.
This really has been a tonic. Sadly, living in America (who lose interest when they are not playing) it is a bit of a sideshow, barely making the major TV channels.
But the ex-pats are all excited and by the time that we get over to the UK on the 27th the Cup could be on view in the England trophy cabinet.

11 July, 2018 17:23
Cmon England!!!

that is all

11 July, 2018 21:51
I´m sorry lads.

The way I saw it the game was there for the taking,but in the end I think Croatia deserved it.The influence of players like Modric and Perisic weighed too much in the end.
Small margins though..Kane really should have scored to get you two up in the first half and I think that would have been too much distance for Croatia to make up.
Right hand side of defence looked shaky all game.
Don´t know really...perhaps Cahill should have been played after all?

At the end of the day,still credit to England.This was the closest you have come to another final during my lifetime.

Croatia with 4,2 millions in the final.It gives hope to the smaller nations.

12 July, 2018 21:16
24 hours on - still gutted, but overall the lions have regained their pride. Southgate has been outstanding.

Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 21:50
They have regained some pride and I agree about Southgate but if this is to be a platform to build on we have to be realistic.
Walker shouldn't be in the back three. He doesn't play there for Man. City and he got caught out several times in the tournament. If it wasn't for his pace it could have been worse.
Young, Alli and Sterling all need replacing. The pundits in the studio tell us about his pace and the fact that he comes deep for the ball and goes wide but he doesn't score enough and doesn't create enough.
The ability at set pieces is a useful weapon to have but only three goals were scored in open play and one of them (Kane's third against Panama) was an accident.

13 July, 2018 13:28
I think Three lions is looking towards a bright future.
England has dominated in the junnior ranks,and if managed properly some of that talent will drizzle through to the England team in the years to come.

You do have a solid foundation to build upon,and if one imagine guys like Sessegnon will develop quite abit in the years to come..you have a decent case for some good old fashioned optimism.

I certainly think that England will become an even greater force in the next four-five years,and I am not alone in thinking that.

It is a matter of letting this process continue without too much disturbance..but for the first time in my life I think most a singing from this same sheet.

Let Southgate continue with what he is doing and don´t go looking for scapegoats here and now.The future looks bright..for England and for Wolves and patience is a virtue.

Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 14:58
No-one's looking for scapegoats but if we are to go forward we have to be realistic about some of these players.

14 July, 2018 16:20
A little bit @#$%& off on Englands behalf.

A third place match is still something to win,and I would like more urgence and more willpower seen here.

IF you win the match...you get a medal,something tangiable?

IF not...you going home with two straight losses.

It is a game worth winning,and it should be treated as such by England.

Good God we won ours back in 94,and it put a silverlining round the whole tournament for us in Sweden.

England hasn´t won that much more than us,it must be worth putting your best in for the last game of WC.

I don´t get it..probably off to watch Serena instead at Wimbledon.

Still a shame though.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 15:08
Exciting stuff. We will know soon enough whether this was the start of building for the future or yet another of those England false dawns. Young team, out in the semi's by one goal; some real positives. But we did look a bit aimless when it got tough; sloppy with those long hope&pray balls. Harry Kane clearly did not have his normal killer instinct in front of goal. Too soon to think about the age-old wisdom of having a forward as captain?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net