football
Latest News:
New Page 1

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
England-World Cup.
Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 22:42
I've said before that I'm not too bothered about international football these days and it may be churlish to voice a concern or two after England have just won but I hope Kane keeps his scoring boots on as they are fairly reliant on him for goals. Sterling has come into the World Cup with just two England goals and Lindgard only one and there doesn't seem to be too many goalscoring midfielders out there and yet there seems to be players with goals in them sat on the bench in Rashford, Welbeck and Vardy.
And what a load of cobblers this VAR is. Kane is rugby tackled to the ground in the first half and then both he and Maguire receive similar treatment at the same time in the second half and nothing is given.
Still, not wishing to tempt fate they should see off Panama on Sunday and that should be enough to progress a bit further.

Re: England-World Cup.
Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 16:19
Good performance from England last night, missed some chances, mind.They should have been clear during the first half. Nevertheless looking forward to watching them with enthusiasm as I always do, despite the historical knock backs - a bit like supporting Wolves. Agree about VAR, plenty of loose ends to tie up - the two bouts of wrestling matches subjected on Kane were bad enough but to not be picked up by the VAR team in front of their tellies was astonishing!

As for internationals, I am a great fan, especially of the WC and Euro’s - I write whilst watching Poland v Senegal! Additionally, I have never understood the apparent growing contemporary view that there is incompatibility of supporting club and country (I know you have’t either suggested this Andy!). I am a Wolves and England fan, pure and simple. For me, Football is there to be enjoyed and I find that there is a pureness within tournaments which is actually being lost in other areas of the sport. Personally, so far this World Cup has been the festival of football I wanted!

Panama next up - can’t wait! Then Belgium, then ........ ? Of course, if we do progress, it’ll be Japan, Colombia, Poland or Senegal.

UTW / C’mon England

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 17:13
Don't get me wrong. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I'm enjoying the World Cup so far and when I say I'm not a fan of international football I'm talking mainly about friendlies and qualifying matches.
England played well, especially in the first half, but Sterling and, more so Lindgard should have had us three up at half-time and that's what I mean when I say there are players with goals in them sat on the bench. Hopefully they will do the business on Sunday when I will be right behind them.

19 June, 2018 21:03
They will!! smoking smiley

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2018 21:03 by Ivybridge Wolf.

an angry wolf (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 21:29
I was hoping Tunisia would hang on but England were worthy winners I thought and it would have been daylight robbery had they not won. It was against a bunch of third world carpet sellers to be fair and wouldnt back an African team with stolen money from what I've seen so far, although Senegal may be the exception to that rule.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 15:05
This group looks like being decided by who scores most goals against Panama, with Belgium England a likely draw. But who knows? The years have instilled in us a deep vein of pessimism that hopefully will lift when and if we move on. Who we might play is anyone's guess looking at that strange Group H.
Really enjoyed the Tunisia match. With the time difference Panama is 7AM Sunday!

26 June, 2018 07:36
If you look carefully, I’m there in the video, about half way up on the right (Sm1)

Panama was fun, wasn’t it? Looking forward to Thursday now!

Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 15:21
I hope some changes are made to the team for tonights match. Walker and Loftus-Cheek are on yellow cards so there is no point risking them getting another and being suspended. Kane may be hoping to win the Golden Boot but if he gets injured we're screwed. Sterling should be left out just because he needs dropping. There are players out of the side with goals in them, Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck.
Too much emphasis is being put on keeping the winning momentum going when there is little evidence to say that you need to. Only 3 of the last 16 World Champions won all of their group matches. The last 10 teams to win all of their group matches failed to win the final.
Italy won the World Cup in 1982 without winning any of their group games and Portugal are European Champions and didn't win a match until the semi-final.
I hope England do win tonight but when all is said and done the runners-up in this group are in what looks to be an easier half of the draw from now on.

Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 14:16
I thought the match against Belgium was pretty poor from England's perspective. We didn't even have a shot on target all game. Whilst we lost to a very well taken goal Belgium looked better than us all night. The outstanding player for me on our team was Fabian Delph. I thought he was industrious and efficient in midfield and linked up well with Rose on the left wing to actually pose a left-footed threat between them, and I hope Southgate can build this in to the next team - although I seriously doubt it.

I think today's games really start the serious stuff in this competition - the thought that by the end of the day two teams out of France, Argentina, Portugal and Uruguay will be going home is amazing!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2018 14:17 by Cheshire wolf.

Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 22:25
Phew! We can go through it all again on Saturday. Maguire mom for me.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 23:24
Colombia got what they deserve after their nonsense. But, wow, we did that the hard way. Now for Sweden, then Croatia! Off we go

04 July, 2018 09:04
Colombia and their anti football brigade deserved to go home and I would’ve said that whether they lost to Russia, Belgium, Croatia ..... or us, whoever. A disgrace on many occasions.

Well, we’ve done it. England, World Cup, penalty shootout, WIN! History and footballing ghosts exorcised. Like many households across the land, we went through the full range of emotions culminating in hysteria. I couldn’t see Colombia scoring, they did, I had given up during penalties, I shouldn’t have. Keep the faith!

Maguire was my MOM too. A revelation of a player, so calm and purposeful on the ball. A real footballer.

Sweden next, though could I please request a comfortable 2-0 as my heart can’t take more of nights like last night!

Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 18:39
Don´t know about that Ivy.
This is the summer that doesn´t know how to say no according to us and we just keep on dreaming.
I regard England as slight pre favourites,but we like the underdog role and I am not sure at all that England will be able to unlock our defence.

We are aiming for the final,I´m sure England does the same.

Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 20:00
Maguire seems to improve with every match but my choice of squad player of the tournament so far would have to be Kieran Trippier. A real workhorse, rarely makes a mistake and gives his all for 90 minutes.

05 July, 2018 10:13
Agree, LH, Trippier has been brilliant too - so consistent both defensively and in attack. An easy choice for Southgate. All of our penalty takers did well, that included him - what a finish given his circumstances within that rollercoaster. (On analysis I thought our weakest penalty was Dier's).

Anyway - Sweden on saturday. A mixture of anticipation, excitement, nausea and sickness! It'll be very tough, exemplified by the dispatching of Mexico 3-0. Having said that, I watched Sweden v Switzerland, a strange match, where either team, if they had their shooting boots on could have won and more comfortably than by 1 goal. In that respect, the finishing was so poor that I felt heartened that should we get past Colombia, we'd stand a great chance. Sweden are, however, very organised. I think it'll be tight, nip and tuck and once again if we underestimate, we'll come a cropper. Got to be excited though - what an opportunity.

JCW - what's the opinion in Sweden?

Some stats for Sweden v England - just to demostrate that in Wolves speak, they are a bit of a Middlesbrough for us! Try to keep positive whilst reading these stats, however as Sir Gareth tells us, this England team are able to write their own history without the baggage of yesteryear

From 1968, the year of my birth:
England wins: 3 Sweden wins: 6 Draws: 7
3 wins in 16

From 1990 (all fixtures):
England wins: 2 Sweden wins: 4 Draws: 5
2 wins in 11

From 1990 (competitive only - qualification / WC / Euros)
England wins: 1 Sweden wins: 2 Draws 3
1 win in 6

C'mon England!

Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 11:58
And don't forget Sweden qualified ahead of Holland in their group and beat Italy in the play-offs. It won't be easy but if I had known beforehand that England would have to beat Sweden in order to reach the World Cup semi-finals, I would have been happy, although Sweden may be thinking the same about playing us.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 12:30
And how many times did Sweden win the World Cup? Exactly. None. They have more history of not making it.
Not that it matters much, just that Sweden will have as much trepidation, maybe more, than England. Switzerland looked much better to me but they could not finish it with fatal consequences. If they use the same defend/breakout tactics Saturday England should have a real chance.

Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 12:51
Very true, Sweden don't have much of a World Cup pedigree but I don't think England winning it once 52 years ago will cut much ice on Saturday. That being said I would have bitten someone's hand off if they had offered me the chance of playing Sweden in the last eight or for that matter Russia/Croatia in the semi-finals. It will be tough but I think we are on the way to the semis.

Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 13:07
Ivy..the general feeling in Sweden before the game Saturday is one of cautious optimism.
I think any team that has reached this far into the tourney will feel practically the same.
The opposition is hard,and one lesser good day at the office will probably mean goodbye..on the other hand why should that happen now?

Personally,and I stated it in another thread in the sport pages section here...this is the best England I´ve seen since 1990.I have no reason to detract anything from that pre tourney estimation now.We have all the respect in the world for the England setup of today and we anticipate nothing less than a very hard match against a very worthy opponent.
We all like Harry Kane,the man with no tatoes and the most deadly England finisher since Garry Lineker.We are a nation brought up with english football and we know you inside and out.That is perhaps one of the explanations regarding our decent overall results when playing you.In the past you have had an understandable tendency to underestimate us.
Sweden hopes you have that feeling going into saturday as well,allthough I do expect Southgates knows this also.

I don´t think we get the credit we deserve.We are not the most breathtaking team to watch as a neutral..then again so wasn´t Italy in 2006 or even in 1982.

That´s were it lands for me.At this level of the sport football it is about results for me and I think each and everyone in Sweden couldn´t care less if the rest of the world thinks we don´t play like Napoli 1987.

I think we have the best defence in the world and we aim to take one or two of the counter chances this brings.Marcus Berg just has to score soon now.
Look upon us as the Italy of Russia wc 2018.I think that will bring the right perspective for you english when thinking about Saturday...I might be wrong of course but this is my feeling going into our match.

Sorry Millwall.

We are Sweden,Super Sweden.
We are Sweden from the north.
No one likes us
No one likes us
No one likes us
We don´t care.

May the rightful winner win on Saturday.

If we go out I will support England.

05 July, 2018 13:08
Agree - Everybody who was predicting quarter final status for England pre tournament (including me!) seemed to suggest it would be Brazil or Germany.

It's neither!! Anybody wish to swap?! Of course not, though I'm sure Sweden will be saying something similar.

We've got to be favourites, but I have no complacency (but great hope)! If we create the chances that Switzerland managed to make, then I would have the confidence that 1 or 2 would go in?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net