football
Latest News:
New Page 1

Expectations for next season.
Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 12:33
No transfer business done yet and there is some anticipation that we may spend big to strengthen the squad. However most of the squad and staff will be stepping into the unknown so it will be interesting to see how we cope. If the squad spirit can be maintained it will be worth a few points but I fear that if Nuno sticks doggedly to the current formation the better teams and managers will tactically outmanoeuvre us.
Will be happy with lower mid table finish and consolidation.

Re: Expectations for next season.
Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 09:12
I agree.Anything from 14 and upwards is allright in my book.
Best finish we have had since early 80`s is the 15 place we got under Mick first season back last time.

I think some new fans might be a little bit disappointed with a 14 place finish but all of us who were at Chorley..:-)..has another perspective I recon.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:02
Surviving is usually enough but expectations, this time around are different. So are resources; so is planning, so is Nuno. Top half? Twelfth would do for me.

irishwolf (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 18:19
I think its important that people do not get carried away in out first season back.
The first year should be about consolidation and then push on the following year.
12-14th would be great IMO.

an angry wolf (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:39
I don't agree with any of this, what good is 12th or 14th compared to 17th? I never understand other fans saying they are hoping for " a top ten finish".. you win nothing for finishing 10th contrary to 17th. The aim should be top 6 - if we don't achieve it then I wouldn't advocate heads rolling from a managerial perspective but European football ( Europa league) should be the aim or what's the point in turning up? This consolidation statement is a myth, you either progress , stagnate or regress. Consolidation is a nonsense, every club in the premiership is either capable of challenging for Europe or fighting relegation with no such thing as an "established premier league"club as we saw with Villa a few seasons back. Some of you have been watching too much of the sky mantra talking about consolidation obsessing over whether we finish 10th or 14th with positions 7 to 17 often covered by only a few points during the season. We either qualify for Europe, dont , or get relegated.. I have no interest in setting an aim of finishing 10th which is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:26
Quote:
an angry wolf
I don't agree with any of this, what good is 12th or 14th compared to 17th? I never understand other fans saying they are hoping for " a top ten finish".. you win nothing for finishing 10th contrary to 17th. The aim should be top 6 - if we don't achieve it then I wouldn't advocate heads rolling from a managerial perspective but European football ( Europa league) should be the aim or what's the point in turning up? This consolidation statement is a myth, you either progress , stagnate or regress. Consolidation is a nonsense, every club in the premiership is either capable of challenging for Europe or fighting relegation with no such thing as an "established premier league"club as we saw with Villa a few seasons back. Some of you have been watching too much of the sky mantra talking about consolidation obsessing over whether we finish 10th or 14th with positions 7 to 17 often covered by only a few points during the season. We either qualify for Europe, dont , or get relegated.. I have no interest in setting an aim of finishing 10th which is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

If's, but's and maybe's.
Angry, often in the past you have tried to explode the Maestro Coach idea (that a brilliant coach can galvanise an otherwise mediocre bunch), the idea being that you must have quality and that quality costs more; end of.
Listening to and watching Nuno has been a stark contrast with Mick, Kenny, and Paul L, along with the other countless journeymen who occupied the post. But only because of the results. When we lose a few (anyone think we won't?) it might start to sound a bit hollow; confidence will slip. The crowd will start to get uneasy (anyone dare to predict the first Santo Must Go post?) and life will seem less sweet, especially if we are looking over our shoulders.
Top Six? Sure, why not? Just a few of the lads from Jorge's Little Black Book, a smattering of Fosun's billions and just a touch of Nuno's pixie dust. What could go wrong. I think you are being way too pessimistic (as clearly I was too in a previous post). Top Four; minimum; Champ League or there MUST be a major clear out.

irishwolf (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 18:35
Angry, we would all love a top 6 finish but we have to be realistic.
The definition of consolidation is "the action or process of making something stronger or more solid".
If we finish 12th for example, well then we can push the year after for top six.
While I admire anyone who is optimistic, I just believe we have to be realistic.
Yes we had a great season but there is a massive gulf between the Premiership and The championship.
There is also the scenario of losing our first four games and going into panic mode!
Finishing Mid table by playing nice football would be a good season IMO. T

16 May, 2018 19:13
Quote:
chicagowolf
Quote:
an angry wolf

If's, but's and maybe's.
Angry, often in the past you have tried to explode the Maestro Coach idea (that a brilliant coach can galvanise an otherwise mediocre bunch), the idea being that you must have quality and that quality costs more; end of.
Listening to and watching Nuno has been a stark contrast with Mick, Kenny, and Paul L, along with the other countless journeymen who occupied the post. But only because of the results. When we lose a few (anyone think we won't?) it might start to sound a bit hollow; confidence will slip. The crowd will start to get uneasy (anyone dare to predict the first Santo Must Go post?) and life will seem less sweet, especially if we are looking over our shoulders.
Top Six? Sure, why not? Just a few of the lads from Jorge's Little Black Book, a smattering of Fosun's billions and just a touch of Nuno's pixie dust. What could go wrong. I think you are being way too pessimistic (as clearly I was too in a previous post). Top Four; minimum; Champ League or there MUST be a major clear out.

No need to be sarcastic with your post, Burnley got into Europe for Christ sake in 7th on a tin pot budget so why should we be biting peoples hands off for 10th -14th... what use is 10th exactly? I heard the same thing earlier this season about the playoffs being great .. whats great about them? Leicester finished top ten having set the bar winning the league , Bournemouth operating on 12000 crowds finished 12th just below 11th placed palace who are hardly powerhouses in English football. I think you need to raise the bar, Morgan has long since gone and expecting to equal what Burnley have done backed by fosun is hardly unrealistic

16 May, 2018 19:18
Incidentally the reason we can aim for a top six/seven finish is down to Fosun rather than miracle managerial tactics. I doubt Nuno with the players we had under Jackett would have made top half let alone win the division and stand by my claims of managers not really being the deciding factor in a teams success.Nuno still deserves credit assembling a promotion team with a healthy budget but none of this would be possible with the constraints of our previous budget so lets not kid ourselves over magic tactics as likeable as nuno is.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 00:34
We are not allowed to be sarcastic any more? That's it, I'm outta here.

Seriously I was agreeing with your point and Nuno would hardly have been able to inflict his 'idea' on the league without the resources to get great players in. But the reverse is also true; even with Fosun's open wallet you can't imagine Lambert or Jackett creating that kind of magic. Remember when Kenny (for whom I have a regard after our dive to the depths) was pontificating about how de-motivational it was to have players all earning different amounts. It was BS then and it is BS now. Jota and Neves might, just might, be earning a bit more than some of the others and if there is any dressing room unrest they have managed to keep it quiet.

17 May, 2018 09:19
I think it's more motivation and ability than any style of football.. style comes with ability and having good man management motivating them to close down opposition players etc which nuno seems to have. I suspect this style of football nuno apparently implements would look very different if fosun weren't around. It's no criticism of nuno, I like the guy but more an observation on managers in general as we have discussed before and this perceived style myth. Put so called long ball merchants like Allardyce at clubs with bug budgets / better players and his entire reputation of anti football soon alters.

Arthur Tannen (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 21:24
I agree with angry, top 6 should be the aim. I actually think outside the top 4 it's a poor league, Burnley finished 7th despite going 11 games without a win mid season and ended the season without a win in 5. The likes of Everton and Leicester look bang average, then you're into the top 5. Spurs reportedly have no money to spend, Arsenal and probably Chelsea will have a new manager so who knows how they'd do so personally I'd aim for 4th depending on who we bring in.

Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 17:26
This thread is probably too early in the process.
Me happy with a 14th place finish steems from a long history of following Wolves and the squad as it looks more or less when I´m writing this.
However,if we are going to have a very prosperous silly season that will result in a number of solid signings..my perspective will change.

Count me in on the fence ATM.I´ll take an ultimate stand in August.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net