football
Latest News:
New Page 1

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Return of Afobe
Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 06:30
I must admit that I have some reservations about his return.
Was a fans favourite but left under a bit of a cloud.

Re: Return of Afobe
irishwolf (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 09:01
I cant see any negatives here, he left the club to play in the Premiership and did what 99% of other footballers would have done!
I think its a great bit of business. We have hit a bit of a bump in the road regarding our League form and although we are in a fantastic position, 3 or 4 defeats in a row and things would look much much different.
I saw the interview he gave and he looks very happy to be back at the club.
He is a proven goal scorer at this level and he knows the club/ fans / players / staff etc.... what is there not to like ????
Once he scores a few goals and/or puts in a few good performances he will have the fans chanting his name.
Also, it will enhance competition among out strikers, I think its great news.

Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 09:50
There are bound to be differing views on his return but the club have been very savvy securing him on a loan only basis. Puts the responsibility firmly on his shoulders to show that he still has the potential to be the player he was a few seasons ago. Good luck to him, lets hope it works for all parties.

Billericay Wolf (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:02
It was Shi who wanted Afobe on loan with no obligation to buy, against Bournemouth who wanted to sell for £10 million. With half an hour to go to the deadline, Bournemouth blinked.

Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 17:12
I hope this loan signing will prove successful .... who doesn't. Suprised in a way because didn't yer man Thelwell say some pretty nasty stuff about Afobe at the end - along with the Great Suprendo himself - Moxey, that is. I seem to remember it was a bit unseemly.

Anyway, I have ebbed and flowed with my opinion of Bonatini this season. Originally I saw him as a ball holding centre forward who wouldn't score many, then his rich vein confounded my thoughts, then he goes a bit barren again. With Afobe, I am hopeful that he will offer something in the way he did for us previously, this time with some exciting, quick, forward thinking and skillful team mates. Would love to see him get about 10 odd in the remainder of the season (if consistantly picked that is).

On balance, I think it'll be decent for us, hopefully with Afobe wanting something to show Bournemouth and why they should have kept him.

A couple v Leon Clarke (booooo!) and the Blades on saturday would be an excellent start!

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 22:40
It should be great news and will certainly make selection interesting. He surely must start against Sheffield?
The intriguing thing is re-reading Thelwell's damning comments when Benik was working his ticket to try and get a move to a better paid Premier League club. It was claimed he had 'stopped trying'. Not, you would imagine, the kind of behaviour that our pal Nuno might like very much.

irishwolf (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 07:43
I was surprised and disapointed at Thelwell washing his dirty linen in public and well, as for Moxey, the less said about him the better.
Whatever went on is now in the past however, the club is on the verge of great things and its only the future which should be of concern.
Im confidant that Afobe will do the business for Wolves.

Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 12:56
I saw some fella on Facebook yesterday accusing Afobe of 'disgusting behaviour' prior to him leaving our club, and being a 'very disruptive influence in the dressing room'. This was all apparently based on what another player had told him, and we know what we think of that!!!!

I wasn't surprised to see him leave us when he did. he had struck up a good playing relationship with Sako and Dicko in the previous season when we just missed the play-offs.
We were in the doldrums of the Championship, Sako had left (and not been replaced), Dicko was injured and Afobe was striving more or less on his own to score goals. It wouldn't have been particularly surprising if he had become fed up and disillusioned, and he probably did feel entitled to a crack at the Premiership when Bournemouth came knocking.

I think he's just what we need right now, and I agree with Ivy in the hope that he can get us at least 10 goals before the end of the season. Bonatini will still be very much part of the first team squad in my opinion, but Mir is a case for development.

On another matter I noticed we had also signed another young goalkeeper, a Danish 17 year old Andreas Sóndergaard. This will mean we have Ruddy, Norris, Burgoyne and the new lad. I wonder whether there is any intention to upgrade Norris to the first team on a more regular basis next season at the expense of john Ruddy!

Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:47
And not to forget Ben Stephenson, signed and then loaned out.

Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 16:22
Quote:
Lupinehowler
And not to forget Ben Stephenson, signed and then loaned out.

And he has scored for his loan club Colchester this afternoon!

shay68 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 20:48
We probably didn't need Afobe and the game was well won before he came on on Saturday but it was the first time in a long time I've seen a commanding, confident and physically strong looking/traditional striker in Gold and Black. Gives us something else. I think he will do well

Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:37
Being reported that there is a £10M agreement in place should we decide to take up the option. This should really put the onus on him to produce the goods between now and the end of the season. I would expect him to get quite a lot of game time so he can prove a point and Nuno can have a good look at him. Not a bad recipe to have for the run in.

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 16:40
16 matches left. Seems unlikely that he will start Saturday. But he will score ten goals during the run-in and will be staring soon.
On the other hand this Love Fest is making me feel a little queasy; trying too hard, a bit like everyone pledging undying love while thinking about the eventual divorce

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 15:38
Quote:
Lupinehowler
Being reported that there is a £10M agreement in place should we decide to take up the option. This should really put the onus on him to produce the goods between now and the end of the season. I would expect him to get quite a lot of game time so he can prove a point and Nuno can have a good look at him. Not a bad recipe to have for the run in.

Like everyone else I want this to work but the tension is mounting. Nuno appeared lukewarm at the start, Afobe's confidence looks low and there are growing comparisons with Leon Clarke.
Clearly Benik could not make it with a modest Prem club. When interviewed about his return he was a little too effusive about his undying love for the Old Gold, but his other comments were telling. He talked about seeing players that had been viewed as talented quite recently but now languishing in Div 2 (with, presumably, very modest rewards). The message I took was that could happen easily, and maybe to him, if he wasn't careful. Dropping down a division and going 'back' must have been enticing. But that was a month ago; this is a very different side to the one he abandoned, and time is fast running out.
If he gets the winner at Fulham, please disregard this post!

Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 21:23
From what I have seen so far I would prefer to see Bonatini start against Fulham.

an angry wolf (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 16:11
If you discount his time with us, he has 29 goals in 152 matches which includes periods in both the premier league but more disturbingly league 1. There's a reason why a club like Arsenal with reputable scouts, coaches/ judges of player quality sold him for peanuts ( 2 million) to a championship club and a reason he bombed at Bournemouth with a strike rate of less than one goal in every six games.

oldngold (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:40
I think this was a mistake. Bringing a player back who is short on confidence and needs to make his mark was risk that we did not need to take.

Also I don't understand why the club were comfortable with the striking options available and were relaxed about bringing Afobe back. I think this may turn out to be a mistake.

We've done brilliantly in an extremely competitive Championship.

But Cardiff, Villa and Fulham all look capable of winning 9-10 of their remaining games which will put all three well into the 90 point area.

Given the season Wolves have had still need to finish strongly. I think another 8 wins will be needed to secure promotion. Look at the remaining fixtures and I think you'll agree that is going to be a challenge.

At least we'll make the playoffs

Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 13:25
Afobe is not good enough for the Premier League.
Leo Bonatini isn´t either.
I would probably keep Leo though as he brings more to the table than just goalscoring.
Afobe isn´t our answer.
We will need to buy a class striker if reaching Prem.

Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 14:30
Tend to agree about Afobe, though trying to keep my mind open. A very interesting interview with him post match on Signal 107.7 yesterday. He said both he and Neves had been having conversations about how to play with each other. Neves had said he'd be tring to deliver parallel passes on the floor for Afobe to run onto. Cue our second goal v Burton yesterday. Superb Neves pass fantastically finished by Afobe. More of the same please.

Afobe's second was a proper poachers goal - right place at the right time, well executed. Add to that Afobe led the line extremely well, worked hard, played the Bonatini role very well (i.e. holding the ball, keeping it and laying off nicely) and for me he offers more of a threat than Bonatini.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 19:32
Very welltaken first goal(the 2-0)against Burton.
Nothing really beats a goalscorer and the numbers for Afobe seems start to add up.
He is a proven goalscorer at Championship level.Still not sure about Prem.
Well ahead of Leo in the peckingorder now though.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net