football
Latest News:
New Page 1

Contrarian View
chicagowolf (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 17:59
Saw the highlights and the Swansea match certainly looked like we were on top. Norris had some good saves, Bright had at least one ugly miss, and we survived a third of the game with fewer players against Premier League opposition.

However, on the other hand, it is very difficult to measure two weakened sides against each other AND our confidence (an important factor) is high while theirs must be rock bottom. Reading too much into a cup game is always risky. The only reason I mention it is that at Wolves we have long history of believing we are better than we really are. Sir Jack, God bless him, clearly did not strengthen enough when we finally got promoted, with catastrophic results. He had spent loads over the years and probably was not in the the mood for major further investment. But I strongly believe that good cup results against stronger teams undermined the urgency to improve the team.

Difficult to imagine we can be that stupid again; this mob looks deadly serious, and realistic. But euphoria over a stalemate with the Swans? Oh please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 23:26 by chicagowolf.

Re: Contrarian View
Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 19:37
I think the expectation was that we definitely had the opportunity and should have beaten Swansea. Yes, we had changes but at 3pm Saturday I believed we would win. We have a great team, loads of guile, energy and quality in many places but perhaps not in the goal scoring department - not in the depth required, so hopefully Mir will help.

For me a good cup run will help our quest for promotion, not hinder and this year such a run will not paper over any cracks - we do have the quality! As for previous years cup runs (name them on 1 hand since our last semi final 20 years ago) wouldn’t have done anything to fundamentally changed the true feeling of anybody who watched Wolves. Our wins last year versus Stoke City (a really decent win in my view) and Liverpool and our battling effort v Chelsea were great but league form told the tale.

S

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

an angry wolf (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 21:33
You imply the cup runs wouldn't have glossed over past cracks Ivy and as you know I'm not one to rake up past posts but grinning smiley

28 January, 2017 15:36
A brilliant win.

Possibly our best win for a few years in reality. Klopp played this side today which I simply don't get. They are desperate for a win, confidence breeds confidence, yet we all saw who he picked. A joke in many respects, though we can only beat who's placed in front of us. Did Klopp really take us for an Argyle mark 2?

Onto Wolves - that's the important stuff. We deserved it 100%. Organised, hard working, closed players down, tackles a plenty, competitive, ran and ran, and of course 2 very good goals. What a shame about Costa's run not ending with a goal - we'd have been talking about that for years - haven't seen that since Georgie Porgie Ndah v Preston. My god, we need to keep hold of that lad!

A brilliant day, an excellent performance - the players were outstanding and a special word for Lambert - he got it so right!

UP THE WOLVES !!!!

08 January, 2018 22:30
Angry - I’ve never known you to employ such a tactic?! If you ever need a job in nearby Brixham harbour, you have all the credentials!(Sm7)

Haha! Yes, post match exuberance! Ay anything wrong with that but not sure I was arguing cracks had been glued together?! The cup was our only form of anything approaching supporting delirium wasn’t it? Liverpool was a fantastic win which I thoroughly enjoyed (Who didn’t) but it was against an average at best Liverpool side who I’d seen win at Plymouth the week before. Nevertheless winning against any Anfield side is always an achievement? In actuality, Argyle missed a real opportunity to beat Liverpool themselves and tbh I should have seen Wolves down here instead. Mind, the Anfield experience was a brilliant fans moment and showed what we could do it when up for it - but did that happen in any concerted way? No. Reflecting on the season, our win v Stoke was much better in terms of opposition - but isn’t the same as winning at Anfield.

Between January 2016 and May 2017 I saw Wolves play 7 times before the last match of the season when we beat Preston 1-0. In those 7 matches I did not see one Wolves player score a single bloody goal and the entertainment factor was low. As for our 3rd and 4th round victories - well the season doesn’t end in February!! Ever hopefully that the cup run in 2017 could have done something - it didn’t did it! This season I’ve seen P4 W 4 F10 A1. I’m all for that continuing in the cup in 2018 if at all possible. Papering cracks not necessary this term but I’d love us to go further in the cup in 2018 and firmly believe that winning, in whatever competition, is a habit worth having!

UTW!

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

chicagowolf (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 23:31
Quote:
Ivybridge Wolf
Papering cracks not necessary this term but I’d love us to go further in the cup in 2018 and firmly believe that winning, in whatever competition, is a habit worth having!
UTW!

Agreed, and now we know that we have lowly opposition in the next round it is encouraging. I hope we win next week and go on a run. It should not be much of a distraction and it gives some of the marginals a chance to show their talents.
Just don't want us to get too excited if we manage to overcome mighty Swansea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net