Latest News:
New Page 1
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A Strange Afternoon
Posted by: Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2012 14:28

After yet another particularly frustrating afternoon watching my team struggle against fellow relegation candidates, whom I never thought we would beat, I passed the crowd voicing their anger outside the BW stand, and wondered what difference it would make.

My brother and I then found ourselves sitting alongside a couple of mature Blackburn fans on the train to Crewe. One did most of the talking, but said that he hoped we stayed up in preference to a couple of the other strugglers, but stated that our team didn't turn up for the match.

What became clear was the similarities between our two clubs. He said the Venky's operate in a particularly bizarre fashion, almost trying to buck the trend. Also apparently the fans still have no time for Kean, and still fail to understand why Allardyce was sacked. But they back their team and appreciate the effort put in by them. They don't give the credit for their recent performances to the big names, but rather to the likes of the Olsen brothers and Junior Hoilett, and their defenders Hanley and Henley, who must have been developed by Kean!!

I haven't taken part in the poll for who's fault the situation is at our club because I really don't know. It seems to me to be a collective onus. Do we expect Morgan to know too much about running a football club - it's the first he has ever run. Sir Alan Sugar struggled running Spurs at times, and eventually threw the towel in. Is Moxey more concerned with keeping us in the black rather than dipping into the Sky money to create a viable team. He simply strikes me as the smug and smarmy face of the club which one probably wouldn't tire of kicking!!

I wish the likes of Mick McCarthy would break cover and actually say what it was like trying to sustain a team capable of staying in the PL with the funds available to him. Why did he have to keep buying players for a million or less. Is this why the club never declare how much they have paid for players?

I don't think the players are not trying on the pitch. I detect an exasperation that everything they try fails, and to some extent with what is asked of them. I was pleased to see Doyle and Fletcher named in the same side yesterday, as I thought it declared out intention to play 4-4-2 and have a go at them. Then I sat and watched Doyle playing on the right wing, and could only empathise at how frustrating that must have been for him.

The way we have played this season deserves relegation. The amount we have spent since last May equates to (or less than) the amount spent by Bolton, Blackburn and Wigan, so is it any wonder we face relegation. I don't really buy Ernesto's theory on wages - the players sign their contracts and know how much they will earn, but accept that it may be a barrier to recruitment.

Sunday sermon over!!

Re: A Strange Afternoon
Posted by: janets2803 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2012 14:59

Wolves appear to keep their cards very close to their chest -until it suits them otherwise.

As regards MM speaking out, I wonder if he signed some kind of confidential agreement, as I understand Dave Jones did when he was sacked smoking smiley

Posted by: dj wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2012 15:07

What gets to me is we never win the games that realy matter (as blackburn proved twice last season and this) the likes of blackburn and bolton my well beat the drop we will go down, as we are now a rudder less ship sinking fast.

Posted by: irishwolf (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2012 15:16

I would just have one issue with your post Cheshire.. i dont see how you can say the players are trying.. although i suppose it depends on the definition of trying..are they trying a bit? Yes.... are they giving 100%? No.

Posted by: ernesto hunt (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2012 16:23

Chesh - a good post for which I would have lent you my pen!

But on the wages issue - all of my posts, bar one, tried to get across exactly that point - they have been a massive bar to recruitment!

Wolves have been the worst payers by millions for the first two years of us being in the Prem, and I think our third season will be the same!

MM's forte was in raising the morale of players and getting them to fight, but even he was overwhelmed this season. I agree MM's weakness appears to be tactics and we would have needed better - but now we have neither, the fight nor the tactics!

Posted by: LordThor (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2012 23:49

So are you saying with mick we had the fight, erm like against the baggies..i dont think we did.

Posted by: ernesto hunt (IP Logged)
Date: 12 March, 2012 00:35

No I am not saying that, LordThor! Just read my post!

By the way I don't think you are LordThor - an imposter cus the 'real' LordThor would not have made that mistake! Perhaps LadyThor, god bless her.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net