football
Latest News:
New Page 1

Mancienne 2 games 2 defeats
Roy (IP Logged)
20 September, 2010 05:21
Do we need both Mancienne and Henry in the team?

Re: Mancienne 2 games 2 defeats
helloagain (IP Logged)
20 September, 2010 07:35
good point does anyone else think manciene gives the ball away a bit to much

Bradmore Wolf (IP Logged)
20 September, 2010 08:08
I like him as a player and he has some very good games for us.

But I just feel accomadating him in the team makes us overly negative. I have thought that about McCarthey for some time that he should trust the players more because they can win these games without needing to sit on a lead.

But opinion is definately divided on this because I keep getting told that is how we should be playing especially again the top sides.

But how will we ever know how good we are if we play like this.

Blake is firing on all cylinders at the moment but had to watch from the bench how is that the right tactic.

Stourport Wolf (IP Logged)
20 September, 2010 08:30
Mancienne is a quality player .... if you are looking for scapegoats surely Ward and Stears are the ones to blame this week and Berra & Fletcher last week not Mancienne.

Badge32 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2010 08:57
Quote:
Stourport Wolf
Mancienne is a quality player .... if you are looking for scapegoats surely Ward and Stears are the ones to blame this week and Berra & Fletcher last week not Mancienne.

Maybe so but why did he change things by playing MM while we was unbeaten. As the saying goes don't fix what aint broke.

lawndog (IP Logged)
20 September, 2010 09:46
Why not try Mancienne at left-back?

Penn Wanderer (IP Logged)
20 September, 2010 10:00
I did a thread on this the other week, personally I don't rate him as a midfielder. As far as this thread goes though I agree, if it aint broke don't fix it. If were going to play 4-5-1 anywhere I'd want Gudieroa as the extra midfielder, to holders seems to invite to much pressure.

It's swings and round abouts at the moment. 4-5-1 is a solid formation but I would say the ball stays in there half abit more and sticks abit more with two up top. 4-5-1 may be a good shout when Hunt's back and we can get him and jarv alongside the loan man. With what we have fit at the moment Id stick with 4-4-2.

wilkowolves (IP Logged)
20 September, 2010 16:24
Quote:
lawndog
Why not try Mancienne at left-back?

Yeah great idea, lets put another square peg in a round hole. Mancienne is a right footed centre back/holding central midfielder, so would that would be pointless putting him there.

Risca TM (IP Logged)
20 September, 2010 19:12
In midfield I saw Mancienne as a back up to Henry. Centre of the defence would be my first option for him.

I also think Mick is getting his knickers in a twist again with team selection. I really hope he is not spreading negativity from the touchline by not trusting his players to finish the job when they take the lead against 'better' opposition.

ernesto hunt (IP Logged)
22 September, 2010 14:03
You could mention any number of our players . . . well about 15 and add the 2 defeats to them - but what's your point?
We are starting of very well now with good team play, but then as the game goes on, for a variety of reasons, it's unravalling. MM is still working it out as he learns from the previous match about what his players can or can't do (we may have been here last season buts it's still a very 'new' side). Other things like injuries, suspensions etc are causeng a fair bit of confusion in attenpting to start with the best 11 for that match, and even the match plan is coming under pressure as the game goes on (injuries, crap referees etc).
I think we ought to stabalise our defence quickly - find the best two players for each position and, as much as possible, only use those in those positions - so they become familiar with whats expected - too much chopping and changing in such a crucial area.
I also reckon we can't afford 6 defence minded players (4-2) - go to 1-4 with Mancienne as sweeper behind to release the full backs going forward more often (at moment they are scared to do it in some situations as the front sweepers are to far up the field).
Van Damme increasingly looks likely to be an important player to the starting 11, Gudieroa likewise. Is Hunt to play central pulling the strings. Can we afford two 'out and out' centre backs. On a regular basis do we need to keep all the squad up to speed (rotate) to prevent things like Stearmans lack of understanding with Hannamen (I think the official websites comment of the last goal not being important was being wise after the fact!

Roy (IP Logged)
22 September, 2010 17:20
Great lads, good discussion. I'm not looking for scapegoats really. I questionned the tactics and are the defeats just a coincidence with having two holding midfielders in the team.

25 September, 2010 21:49
Quote:
Stourport Wolf

I am not looking for scapegoats either. My opinion is that playing the holding player and one up front i setting us up for constant pressure.

Hopefully he will only do that away from home against the better teams.

kettrin wolf (IP Logged)
25 September, 2010 22:49
Mancienne is a quality player however will always been seen as a defensive player which is what we bought him for. I dont think he is to blame for the 2 defeats but would like to see us attack if we get ahead as the last 2 ganes after we have gone in front it is just defence, defence, defence.

UP THE WOLVES

oldngold (IP Logged)
26 September, 2010 09:57
I think we have been unlucky in the last two away games against quality opposition it has to be said. A combination of bad press, bad refereeing and bad luck combined to undermine us and particularly allowed Fulham to snatch all 3 points at the death.

The game generally is evolving before our eyes and I am less interested these days about formations and more about players having the technical capabilities to do what is asked of them in the position they're picked for.

I thought Mancienne did well against Spurs in front of real quality and for all the game looked comfortable. Ward made a mistake, he's held his handup and that game Spurs the momentum to snatch victory late in the game.

Similarly with the earlier Fulham game.

I am more concerned that any of Mancienne, Guedioura (who I think could develop into a real midfield powerhouse), and Henry, and Jones and Edwards do the business.

oldngold (IP Logged)
26 September, 2010 23:30
I think he was missed today

Stourport Wolf (IP Logged)
27 September, 2010 09:06
Quote:
Bradmore Wolf
Quote:
Stourport Wolf

I am not looking for scapegoats either. My opinion is that playing the holding player and one up front i setting us up for constant pressure.

Interesting though that with 2 up front against Villa we struggled first half but with 1 up front 2nd half we were on top.

ernesto hunt (IP Logged)
27 September, 2010 22:04
It's not where the players are that determines success in a game, it's where the action is and getting suitable players into it.

27 September, 2010 22:58
Quote:
Stourport Wolf
Quote:
Bradmore Wolf
Quote:
Stourport Wolf

Interesting though that with 2 up front against Villa we struggled first half but with 1 up front 2nd half we were on top.

Yes you are right.

Its one of those dilema's there is no point having two up front if we cant get them any service.

I just though we had turned a corner and as Henry and Jones were playing so well together that we could get the ball up to the front two rather than containing the opposition.

Saying that we played really badly against Villa I dont think Jones did much at all so I suppose he had no choice to change things around, but it was a move forced upon him and for all the play we had we didn't really create anything that clear cut in the second half.

MM has a very hard decision for the weekend. Can he keep SEB on the bench again?

Anyhow why was Mancienne not in the squad have I missed something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2010 23:19 by Bradmore Wolf.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net